1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Valve giveth, Valve taketh away

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hegyak, Sep 3, 2009.

1. hegyak

hegyak Member

From Teamfortress.com

"Over the next few days we'll be removing all TF2 items that were earned using external idling applications. We're going to adopt a zero tolerance policy for external applications used to manipulate the persistent item system. Due to us not having a policy in place prior to today, this time we're only removing the items earned through cheating the system. Going forward, if we find users using external applications, we'll remove all of their items. If you're interested, only about 4.5% of the players in TF2's community will be affected by this cleansing process."

Usually cheating in a Valve game gets you a VAC ban (perma ban). Guess Valve is being nice.

2. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

It's possible they banned too much-if they ban it means they won't pay money to play right?

So it's a good idea-encourages fair play while keeping the user base at max.

Though how many idn't crack-use free server is another story...

3. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

...It's not an mmo or a pay to pay game mds. It's an FPS.

The thing that makes me angry about the hats it's that I played for a very long time and got nothing. LAME.

4. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

..I actually just guessed-I thought how WoW works was universal in making profit in onlien gaming these days-I knowm it's an fps.

I will now leave.

5. tehuber1337

tehuber1337 Well-Known Member

Why do you need an external application to idle? =/

6. xmasterchefx

xmasterchefx Well-Known Member

TF2 is an MMO. It's massively multiplayer online shooting. It's just not an RPG. Why do a lot of people think MMOs are only restricted to RPGs?

7. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

MMOs are associated with paying a fee each month.

TF2 is a Multi-player FPS, if you want an MMOFPS, look at Planetscape. As TF2 isn't massive.

8. xmasterchefx

xmasterchefx Well-Known Member

No, there are MMOs that you play because you bought the game. They are associated with being online and restricted to online multiplayer. Well, it's not massive, but there is no such genre called MO...

9. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Most MMOs use the pay-for-play model (the ones you buy at the stores). MMOs are also associated with a large player count as in thousands of players.

Meanwhile TF2 has a limit of 32 players. I think official Valve servers use 16. In no way either of them are massive.

10. tehuber1337

MMO is not a genre at all, it's just an abbreviated form of MMORPG.

TF2 is definitely not an MMORPG.

11. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Uber there's a lot of genres of MMO, there's MMOFPS, MMORPG, MMO Racing, and just MMO (what would you call Second Life?). Although I didn't specify which one. :p

12. tehuber1337

Well, the other forms of MMO are, as far as I know, so scarce as to not bear mention.

13. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

second life is an MMORPG.

14. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Guild Wars. 'Nuff said.

FPS games aren't MMO just because they're online, as has been mentioned the keyword is Massive, if there are anything less than 100 people online on the same map then it's hardly massive.

15. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

That's why I
    That's why said most MMOs. :p

Valve is probably being nice to the cheaters in TF2 because it's actually so hard to get a hat. To get a hat you have to play so many hours and you randomly get it. Like I've played this game for quite a while and got nothing.