1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Valkyrie Profile cutscene freeze

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by yarow12, Jun 15, 2010.

1. yarow12

yarow12 Member

During the cutscene in which Belenus is speaking to himself (surrounded by black), this is in the town after killing the vampire in the first dungeon at the beginning of the game, the game will sort-of freeze except for the music which keeps going.

This isn't the first time that the game has done this. It has before, when the one-man-army guy with the huge sword thinks to himself about how he disrespected "that girl's father." This too was a cutscene and not just endless dialog requiring me to click "X" continuously. I don't recall how I got around that one, though.
    Does anyone know how to stop this from happening?

System: Playstation
    Emulator: ePSXe 1.70
    Computer: INSPIRON zino HD (Desktop; capable of running Modern Warfare 2 on high)

2. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

What is ePSXe 1.72?
    The latest version that I know of is 1.7.0.

Have you tried a different graphics plug-in. Or at least messed with the settings on the one you are using?

3. yarow12

yarow12 Member

Oops, I meant 1.70. ^^

4. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Ah!

But have you tried tweaking the video settings?

5. yarow12

yarow12 Member

Yes, I have changed the Video and Sound plugin and also lowered the video settings (very slightly; nothing big). The same thing is happening, though.
    I forgot to mention that the voice over isn't there during this cutscene. I know that there is suppose to be one because I saw a Let's Play of this game.

6. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Could it be that the ISO is corrupted and you just need a different version of it?

7. yarow12

yarow12 Member

Well I got it from here, so. >.> By another version, do you mean from a different site?

8. g@l1h

g@l1h Well-Known Member

What video and sound plugin that you use right now ?
    Try using the Pete's OpenGl at the default "nice" setting for the video plugin.

9. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Yes, but if you got it from here, then it's a good copy.

Have you tried an older version of ePSXe, like 1.6.0?

10. yarow12

yarow12 Member

I've tried 1.52, but it says "Error loading [plugins\gpuPeteOpenGL.dlll"

Pete's DSound Audio Driver 1.15 since P.E.Op.S. DSound Audio Driver 1.9 causes painful static in the background. I am also using Pete's OpenGL Driver 1.76.
    Using Pete's OpenGl plugin at "nice" had no effect.

11. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Your plugin is outdated.
    Use Pete's OpenGL2 2.9 or D3D 1.77

12. meganova

meganova Well-Known Member

Oh my Ace, you ask more question than giving an answers.

To the OP, update your plugins like Tirith has suggested.
    http://forum.romulation.net/index.php?topic=600.0

For the sound issue, try using the Eternal SPU Lite 1.41, and then enable all the three option at the bottom.

13. yarow12

yarow12 Member

Thanks for the updates. I believe I have all of the plugins updated now. I even tried the video and sound plugins recommended, but to no avail. There still is no voice over once he begins talking to himself.

Information: I am loading a save slot that is about 13 seconds before the problem starts. To pull my cartage, I will try an earlier save slot and see if the problem continues.

14. meganova

Savestates on ePSXe are bit unstable and glitchy, I suggest don't use it when you're watching cutscenes, etc.
    Load your game from the recent save point, and go through at the point where the problem started.

15. yarow12

yarow12 Member

The save state I just used was while Valkyrie was hovering over the town. It was perhaps three minutes before the scene, and it still did not work. No one else has had this problem?

16. meganova

Other people has, but only a few.
    Your freeze problem was a bit similar to FF9, which are solved by using the in-game slot.
    The sound should be fixed by using the Eternal SPU plugin 1.41/1.50, with all three of the Special game fix enabled.

I've played this game before, but doesn't get any freeze while playing, only the sound issue.
    Try again by switching between the graphic plugins, Pete's OpenGL2 2.9 and D3D 1.77, might as well try using Peops Soft Driver 1.18 although it was not recommended.

17. yarow12

yarow12 Member

Using Pete's D3D Driver 1.77, P.E.Op.S. Soft Driver 1.18, Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.9, Eternal SPU plugin, and Pete's DX6 D3D Driver 1.77 didn't help.
    I might just forget about playing that Valkyrie Profile and just watch the entire Let's Play. -_-

18. meganova

There is an alternative,
    try playing it on other emulator, such as pSX.
    Continue at the point where the game freeze, if the game able to play it without freeze,
    you can either continue using it on pSX or play it on your ePSXe again.

19. yarow12

yarow12 Member

I'll try that tomorrow perhaps, it's getting late. I'll edit this post with whatever new information I'll have as-well, unless someone else has already posted below me.

EDIT: All seems to be well now. I'm going to just use pSX from now on. Besides, it's awesome! I've missed that Sony and PlayStation theme (only a few seconds) for so long. I would have cried but I didn't feel like it. T~T Good ol' PSOne, the good years.