1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Using GUIminer - is it safe?

Discussion in 'Computers & Modding' started by angusangus, Nov 14, 2013.

1. angusangus

angusangus Well-Known Member

I've been looking to obtain a few ROMs for my Nintendos and came across a certain site which gives non members a certain 'quota' of download megabytes.

In their blurb, they say that a bigger quota can be obtained if a user downloads and runs GUIminer?

I've looked around the 'net to see if it's safe etc but there's no real definitive answer.

Does anyone have any opinions or experience on it?

Is it safe? Does it contain and spyware/keyloggers etc? Does it considerably slow a laptop down? Is it easy to uninstall totally and cleanly?

Any view would be interesting. Thanks

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

guiminer is a bitcoin miner. It's safe but I suspect they're trying to use your computer to make money for themselves.

basically it runs your cpu and gpu to the max all the time performing mathematical calculations in the hope of finding bitcoins, however bitcoin has now evolved to the state where its extremely difficult to mine them on CPUs and so it takes a long time.

3. angusangus

sorry, but what's a bitcoin?

4. Loonylion

a virtual currency based on cryptographic algorithms.

it's explained here: http://bitcoin.org/en/

5. angusangus

cheers I'll look into it

6. Neon32

Neon32 Neo-Noir

if you are not mining for bitcoins then dont use GUIminer it can really slow down your PC .

i have used it and have seen that a 2gb ram can get filled within a minute or so .

7. angusangus

Thanks for the info Neon. The site I want to obtain more 'quota' from specifically mentions GUIminer though, so I don't know if there is an option to use anything else as they want you to select their server in the miner options.

Having said that, the site I'm talking about doesn't appear to have a 'register' link for me to obtain a username and pass anyway!

8. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Why are you using 'that' site?
    RomUlation is perfectly good enough :p

9. Loonylion

It doesn't matter what you use, they all slow down your computer, that's the point. it's using your computer for computationally intensive processing.

10. angusangus

Unfortunately not as it's 3DS games I need, cheers