1. This forum is in read-only mode.

USB device as Memory card substitute for Playstation 2 console

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by kayshow, Oct 3, 2010.

1. kayshow

kayshow Member

Hey i heard from a friend once that i can use a flash drive as a storage device for my ps2. I dont know how true this is, i mean it definitely has a usb port. Could someone pls get back to me so i know if its worth it to dig out my old console. Oh and if it works, could i copy my psx2 emulator save files to use?

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

not to my knowledge.

3. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

You can't use it for that.

4. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

Installing a harddisk is what I know. You put it into the expansion bay at the back of your PS2. I think a standard PC version is what it use. Not sure if its SATA or ETA version. But I might be wrong cause I've never open that expansion bay. All I ever did was open the top casing to clean out dirts and dust from the fan. Other than that, I never pay attention.

So far I've only used the front USB port for use with a small hacking device to read rip off PS2 & PSX CDs. I also used it to connect with Gun controllers, Steering Wheels Controllers, Eye Toy, and PC-mouse.

I've also heard the port is also useable to use to dump your console's BIOS into your PC's emulators. But I don't understand how.

But never in my life I heard about it useable to read USB sticks, not even to use it to read MP3 files kept in one either. At least up to now, I've never tried doing that cause I have no reason to do so either.

5. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

You need Swap Magic for the stuff you're talking about.

And as for taking apart a PS2, I've done that. Not too hard to dismantle. Just have to be careful not to touch the power converter. ::)
    I did that by accident when I was putting the shell back on. :p
    I slipped up and turned it to sleep mode...

6. Prectorian

Never heard of Swap Magic, but it doesn't matter. I haven't been playing the PS2 for almost 2 years now. Got bored playing it.

True, its easy to dismatle but re-building it can be painstaking if you don't remember which must go where. Especially the bolts. He3x

7. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

That's the fun part.

Swap Magic is to load stuff from the USB ports or to play burned games.

8. Prectorian

I'd rather get confuse over a jigsaw puzzle than get confused over re-building an expensive console. I could cry blood if that happen.

Haven't heard about Swap Magic cause no shop sells that in my country. But thanks for the info, increases my knowledge about PS2.