1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Uploaders

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by monter, May 29, 2008.

1. monter

monter Guest

I wanna help your site by uploading a bunch of roms to save some time would could you let me upload some psx iso to your site ?

Come on you know you want to ;)

2. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

The problem is not with uploading them, the problem is with checking all of them to make sure there's no corruption in the rar file and make sure it's ready to be added to the site. Both Loony and I are currently in an exams period and that's why we haven't added any PSX games lately.

3. monter

monter Guest

So I can't help.

4. Seph

There's no point really, we can get any game on the server in an hour tops. The thing that takes time is making sure it ready to be added to the site. :)

If we allow user uploads it'd be more work for us in the end since we normally download whole letters at a time, but if we already have 4 games from letter C when we want to add C then it's extra work checking and deleting.

5. branraf

branraf Well-Known Member

It's a very bad idea. I'm sure the mods already check the files that are put on the servers for malware but if you did allow uploads then you would have to scan them, and eventually the server would overload and the speed would be horribly low.

And some people would start to complain. Also people would upload files that are already on the server so you would have the same files on there, which is really a waste of space. It would also give opportunities for some geek to get his piece of hacking software, infect a file with a large index so it's harder to identify the virus, upload it and then wait for someone to download it. When they do you put some important details into something on the web and voila, you have identity theft. But that's only a short list of what could happen if they did allow you to upload your own files.

P.S I am not a moderator, but i am speaking on behalf of Romulation and save some time for those poor admins, who have to spend so long on here. :'( If their's anything else you can think of please do add it. Any mistakes can be corrected but please don't go crazy at me if i have made a mistake as i am VERY tired.

6. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Yeah, mods can't check files on the server like that. Only Admins.

7. Seph

The server wouldn't overload and die, it's a quad core with 4 GB of RAM and 4 insanely fast harddisks; really, it wouldn't even be noticeable if we were to virus scan everything. It's not so much the checking things for malware because that can be automated, it's making sure naming is proper and such.

We have over 20,000 files on RomUlation, I have no idea how many really, but it's a lot. We don't differentiate between a retro file and a nds file, the system that handle it is the same, this means it has to be very versatile but sometimes things just don't work nicely in an URL such as # and for other reasons which I won't go into here, PSX ISOs must have their tag like this: [SLUS-007.62] and not [SLUS_007.62] as the latter wouldn't work. That's pretty much why we upload letter packs, easier to just do a bunch at the time.

8. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

24,478 as of this post.