1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Upload pics from pc to use as avatar's instead of links?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by mds64, Sep 26, 2009.

1. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Yes, to be honest, while I know it can't be done with sigs, what about just the avatars like some sites use?

I hate using photo bucket-and I'd rather upload my avatar from my pc than use links.

I'm partially aware of the work involved-so if it's not gonna happen, just say no.

Just throwing it here to see what happens.

2. meganova

meganova Well-Known Member

Hmm... nice suggestion there....
    It would be much convenient to people who having problem with website hosting image... ;D

3. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

That's why I came up with it-but there would be some cost involved...not to mention the site may have to hold the pics...hence why a simple yes or no would be enough as my reply.

BTW-another avatar eh meganova :)

4. meganova

But, doesn't the computer need to be (always)connected to the internet for the image to be shown always(on the net)? ;D

Yeah, mds. I'm just playing around with .gif at the moment. but sadly this will be the last. :'(

5. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

I upload mine and then shut it down-net and all...

Facebook-some forums-they seem to stay-I check them occasionally via other's pcs.

Oh...well it's not bad your avatar-though I miss your first :(

6. meganova

I thought Friendster also have same preferences with Facebook? o_O

Which one?

7. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

..the one I saw you with when I first saw you here I guess...not sure how long you been here so...

8. Blade5406

Blade5406 Well-Known Member

The ones you upload to Friendster and Facebook are stored in their own servers....
    they were just uploaded from your PC.

9. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

I know-just seeing if seph would take such an idea on board.

I THINK gamespot does it-THINK.

10. Blade5406

Oh, so you want RomU to host our avatar pics.........?

11. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

If it can be done-or if it's worth the cost-hell I'd pay 5 cents to do it if cost is the matter...

But then again the site would need major changes to get this going...

12. meganova

Yeah.
    But, its a positive improvement, didn't it. ;D

13. Blade5406

Not worth it... you're just lazy to upload in those imagehosting sites :p .... you don't even need accounts for sites like tinypic, imageshack, etc.

14. meganova

Haha, maybe not now, but on coming years?? ;D

15. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Wrong on photobucket :(

I suggested for convienience-I am lucky to view photo bucket and thus always at risk of getting those dam "inactive account" warnings.

I saved them to my pc anyway-and thought give them some use-and prehaps just to make things easier for the lazy and stupid out there.

16. meganova

Just like what happened to most people here who are lazy to go to photobucket... you know...hehehe

17. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Not allowing avatar uploads actually saved us once since a security vulnerability was found in SMF. (the forum software)

I don't think it's much of an issue to put it up on tinypic, imageshack or similar.

18. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

WOW-never knew that one!

Well I thought I'd try-just to streamline for us lazy people-but security is more important than simplified use.

Thanks anyway :)