1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Flashcart Help' started by archlvt, Jul 18, 2010.

1. archlvt

archlvt Well-Known Member

I got kinda lucky, in that I have a ds lite and didn't have to do any upgrades or whatever.

I'm thinking of trading my ds lite into gamestop for a DSi XL though, and I'm wondering if it's difficult or risky. What exactly do I change to make it run on dsi xl? It seems like quite a few people had problems when they changed to dsi xl.

I'm using an acekard 2i with the official firmware (akaio seems to delete my save files for some reason).

2. LuckyTrouble77

LuckyTrouble77 Well-Known Member

Well, the Acekard2i requires flashing to work properly on the DSi. I can't tell you how to do it since I don't own an Acekard2i or a DSi of any sort. I do know that flashing it requires the use of a DSlite or Phat.

I'll leave it to someone like ace to explain it fully.

3. archlvt

In other words, upgrading to a DSi XL is impossible for me, as I have no friends with a DS that I could use to help flash the XL with. Thanks for the info and stopping me from making a big dumb mistake.

4. LuckyTrouble77

You could always upgrade your Acekard2i to a more reliable Supercard DSTwo.

The below shows how to do it, but the first half is updating with a DSi with 1.3 firmware, and the second half is with a DSlite. It is horribly inconvenient for some people. :/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNb6NLXTf8I&feature=related

5. archlvt

Does the supercard work right out of the box with DSi XL? I'm actually not too happy with my acekard 2i as it is. It's flimsy, and the spring in the SD slot doesn't work, it just slides in and out, and it's given me lots of problems.

I watched the video and I'm not sure if I'm cool with the risk of wrecking the acekard, so.

6. LuckyTrouble77

The DSTwo is full out made to work on the DSi. Out of the box working (once you get the firmware and everything). People can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the DSTwo was made to be able to play on a DSi with the latest firmware without extra steps.

7. archlvt

Ahhh, all of this seems too expensive just for bigger screens. I think I'm just gonna stick to my ds lite. The XL is already 129.99 after the trade-in as it is. I'll just keep my shorts on for 3ds.

8. LuckyTrouble77

Well, if your Acekard gets too problematic, I still suggest the DSTwo. It works on all DS models and works fantastically. That or the CycloDS, but the Cyclo is about $45.

9. archlvt

The DStwo has gba compatibility right? I've been looking for ff6 advance everywhere and can't find it. Maybe once I get some money coming in I'll think about a dstwo and a dsi xl.

Apparently ds games don't look all that pixelated on the bigger screens, but I'm concerned about the emulators and gba games.

10. LuckyTrouble77

Well, the GBA emulation isn't fantastic, though I guess there is a third party update or something that increases compatibility. It would be cheaper to get an EZ Flash 3in1, but this is definitely the only route for GBA emulation if you get a DSi.

From what I hear, the XL displays perfectly, so there aren't any display issues.

FF6 Advance is very elusive for one reason or another. I don't understand why.

11. archlvt

Do you mean the retail cart is elusive? Yeah I dunno. The snes version was very rare, and the whole idea of the gba version was to make it more accessible so that people who didn't get to play it in the snes era can play it now. But the gba version is now more rare and more expensive online thn the snes cart. I have ff3/6 for snes, the real cart. I think I'd gladly trade that for the gba version.

SNES games don't look fantastic on a 46" tv. Even less so since the SNES to TV connector gives the game a fuzzy look, like the olden days where you'd smack your tv to clear it up.

I've just been on a big emulation kick lately. I've been playing the old gameboy zelda games (Links Awakening, ages, seasons), and they look incredible on the ds with the bright colors and backlighting.

12. LuckyTrouble77

You can actually buy color cables for the SNES. Or even the Gamecube color plugs will work with the SNES. Nintendo and Sony don't like to change their plugs very often, so a lot of the time at least one cord from the last generation will work on the next. I've been using color plugs with my SNES instead of the crappy needle plug though, and it works fantastic.

I can't really find FF6 anywhere for the actual retail version. ROM's are easy, I can find the ROM for just about any game in existence (provided they aren't of the latest home console generation) with a simple Google. I know FF6 is one of the best FF games ever made (it has my favorite sound track by far), but it would be great if it was more readily available.

Also, the old Zelda games are great. It was wonderful when they actually still had some difficulty.

13. archlvt

Yeah there's always roms but it always feels so fake when I emulate them on my pc. I've gone through ff6advance on visualboy but it just isn't the same.

I'll try my gamecube cord though, I didn't think of that. I knew that the snes and n64 both used the same type of cord, I didn't know you could use the color ones though.

It's still big and pixelated on a 46" tv regardless though.

14. LuckyTrouble77

I was surprised too when I accidentally grabbed my SNES color cord instead of my Gamecube one and discovered it worked on the Gamecube. Now I don't really use my normal Gamecube one, as my sister decided it was a good idea to braid the color cords after pulling them completely apart down to the plug base. :/

I know what you mean about emulation on the PC. I can't emulate GBA on a PC without it feeling wrong. I never could finish the Minish Cap, as I just couldn't convince myself to play the GBA on the computer.

15. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I have an RCA adaptor for my snes (so I can use it with my vga box). I also have one for my megadrive.

16. archlvt

Okay so here's a new development, my R button has just died and blowing in it doesn't help. So now I pretty much HAVE to trade it in. Question: Will gamestop take a ds where the R button doesn't work? Will they even know when I take it in?

17. LuckyTrouble77

That's a good question. They'll probably try to test every button, so you may want to try to get it at least temp working if possible. If they were to take it, it would be dramatically marked down since they would have to send it in to be resold as a refurbished item.

18. archlvt

I just got it to temporarily work by blowing harder on it and blowing closer.

So I'll just blow on it in the car before I go in lmao.

Would they ask for my number?

19. LuckyTrouble77

Unless their trade in policy has changed, once you get the credit and they have the system, the deal is done. They need nothing more to do with you in regards to the system.

20. archlvt

Awesome.

So now I gotta risk upgrading my acekard in hopes that it wont get wrecked, and risk trading this in without them knowing my R button is trashed.

Walking on pin and needles here, and just when all my acekard problems were ending too. -_-

I switched back to akaio like 3 days ago too, and the very first thing I noticed was thart my DQ9 save was deleted. And yes I removed the USB thing safely after disconnecting it. AKAIO just hates me, and the only downside to the official firmware is slightly longer "Loading" screens, and can't play bowser's inside story, not that I'd want to, I wasn't impressed with Partners in Time.