1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Unzipping Program

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by CasualDave, Apr 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CasualDave

CasualDave New Member

Hey, Im looking for a good unzipping program, because I am weary of having my computer attacked by virus' by downloading free software lol.. So does anybody know a good free unzipper??

2. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

WinRAR is your best choice mate & here's a tutorial you can use too courtesy of Almo:

https://www.romulation.org/forum/index.php?topic=3880.0

3. BloodVayne

BloodVayne Well-Known Member

4. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

What? WinRAR IS legit.

5. Sacker

Sacker Well-Known Member

Thinks Bloodvayne means total freeware package vs paypackage. Both are free WinRar however is a fee based software.

6. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

No, it's shareware. Payment is optional.

7. Sacker

Sacker Well-Known Member

Both are free WinRar however is a fee based software.

Include the entire text vs nit picking.

8. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

But you do not have to pay anything to use WinRAR. You can continue using it, fully functional, forever, without paying.

9. MadmanNero

MadmanNero Well-Known Member

Get both WinRAR and 7z they work together.

10. Sacker

Sacker Well-Known Member

yes as it was already suggested both are free, winrar is pay if you want future upgrades, add-ons to create self-extracting files, therefore its a fee based, or in Loonys viewpoint shareware.

11. TirithRR

This is where you are confusing people.

I just upgraded Winrar yesterday from 3.71 to 3.8, and didn't have to pay anything. You never have to pay with Winrar. Saying you have to pay for anything is wrong.

12. Sacker

Sacker Well-Known Member

paying for the the lic fee is a one time, all you can eat upgrades, until rarlabs changes it, they havent changed thier policies since the start of winrar, 1.70 in conjuction with Far.

Pls by all means take things out of context and apply it for your own viewpoints. Dont let me stop you from letting the door hit your face.

Upgrades for SFX module cost another USD 9.95 per year extra, this is what I mean by fee based software, vs Shareware...

13. TirithRR

Yes, it's easy to say I take things out of context when you go back and edit your posts to change the context by adding things like "Oh, you have to pay for addons to create self extracting executables!"

;)

14. Sacker

Sacker Well-Known Member

well generically. You can

A) download winrar, and not pay, just push 2x close button, and use it indefinately.
    B) use the dos version of unrar.exe/unrar.dll/unrar32.exe/unrar32.dll, no GUI, and its totally free by rarlabs.
    C) use winrar, pay to remove the nagware. lifetime updates until policies change. (does not include SFX module for commercial usages, most homeusers never use this feature)
    D) use 7zip, open sourced.

well if you went back to what I had posted both are free, however winrar is a fee based software, with no edited out postings, I dont see how I failed in any comments. Post #4 and Post #6

15. TirithRR

Or, if you just use the Right Click drop down menu, you never have to even open the Winrar software, and never have to push any close buttons at all :)

16. Sacker

Sacker Well-Known Member

that too :) shell commands. Im using Commercial from work but time to time our clients are unknown with it, so in Novell we just hand out the dos version command lines of unrar excution files. Free by Rarlabs :D its just not advertised as much anymore.

17. TirithRR

Personally I have both WinRAR and 7Zip installed.

For normal files, both seem to extract exactly the same speed. In my experience though, with large, split archives (Like PS2 ISOs), Winrar handles them faster and easier.

18. Sacker

Sacker Well-Known Member

I have never bothered with 7zip.

I have used scouz, pkzip, pkarc, arc, unarc, upx, lha, etc... I remember trying out winace a long time ago, The archiving by rar to me overall has a greater compression ratios in virtual memories as far as handling larger files, over 1 gig and on. just never bothered with other types of compression, when Pkzip went high end commercial, thats when winzip came out for the masses. WinRar 1.xx was not as stable, things have changed now. As far as multispanning archiving usages, I dont think nothing of quality has come up to compete against winrar/rar so far. Im sure 7zip might surpass winrar someday as it's opensourced...

19. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

7zip generally compresses better than rar, and uharc can be much better than either of them with certain types of data.

20. MadmanNero

MadmanNero Well-Known Member

I bet we just confused the hell out of CasualDave.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.