1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Unix Desktop

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fennyariel, May 14, 2013.

1. Fennyariel

Fennyariel Well-Known Member

Could somebody please take a screenshot of their regular unix desktop please? I'm talking about the first thing you see when you boot your computer. I've never seen one and I'm just curious! ;v)

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

unix isn't used on desktops. (aside from macos, which is unix under the fancy gui).

Do you mean linux?

3. Fennyariel

Fennyariel Well-Known Member

No, I meant unix. OK, I'll fess up. Remember in Jurasic Park when the girl sits down to the parks computer and says, "This is a unix system! I know this!" Well I was just wondering if unix systems still looks like that now.

4. Loonylion

these days its kind of hard to define what pure unix is. BSD and solaris are both derived from unix, but arguably aren't pure unix

5. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    This is literally it right after logging in. Looks exactly the same on my tablet as it does if I went into the lounge and opened up the laptop in question.

EDIT: To get loony off my ass, it's considered to be Unix-based; Linux isn't pure Unix. But that's honestly splitting hairs these days, especially when it comes to what your terminal is going to look like.

6. Loonylion

actually linux isn't unix based, it was developed independently. The GNU in GNU/Linux actually stands for GNU's Not Unix.

Solaris and BSD are much closer to unix than linux is, and are legitimately unix based.

I do actually have a copy of what would be considered 'pure' unix (AT&T System V unix) but it doesn't want to boot on modern hardware. Most unix variants won't run on x86 based hardware.

7. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

Fine, "Unix-like". She asked what it looked like, not the minutiae of the differences between distributions. A CLI is a CLI. It looks close enough as makes no discernable difference to that of a Unix box unless you want to get pedantic. And if you do, that's great, by all means, but nobody is actually going to give a fuck about it because I've answered the question and you haven't.