1. This forum is in read-only mode.

University Research Assignment (Please Read)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Evokoo, May 17, 2011.

1. Evokoo

Evokoo Member

Hey everyone,
    I'm a third year communication design student a Swinburne University of Technology, Melbourne, Australia and am doing a project on educational games and proposing the introduction of an educational game rating system for mainstream video games, if you could answer these questions it would be a big help.

Age?

When playing video games do you feel you learn new skills or information?

If you were aware of the potential learning value of mainstream video games would you still play them?

Does the thought of learning from a video game discourage you from playing them?

If there was a universal rating system based on the educational values of video games would you take note of it or simply ignore it?

Finally if an educational rating system was implemented would it affect the way you buy video games?

Thank you for your time and hope to get some responses.

2. toffster92

toffster92 Well-Known Member

I would be happy to help you with your research Evokoo, but first, help me clarify a few issues regarding your questions.

When you say "educational games" do you mean games in which the main purpose and use is specifically and purposefully educational?
    By that I mean, games such as Sesame Street games or games (or to be more precise programs for the DS) which help you develop skills like learning a new language.

3. Evokoo

Evokoo Member

No, I mean general games in which action, adventure etc. is the main objective but due to their content or context you learn new knowledge or skills. For example by playing a World War II based game you 'can' learn about politics, locations and history of the time. It's not so much about you will learn from these games but they have the ability to teach.

4. iluvfupaburgers

iluvfupaburgers Well-Known Member

age - 21

a game that has taught me some things is Metal gear solid 1-3 (havent played 4 that much) and it gives some dates of reality like the nukes on hiroshima and nagasaki. well, they give some real events that have happened in important wars like WWII, cold war, and others.
    so you can say i learned a bit of history from these games. of course one needs to know what is real and what is fiction.

i would still play games if they had potential learning values, heck, i think it would be better that way, of course, not making educational only games, but like giving facts and stuff like that, it would be good

i would ignore the rating, i already do it with esrb, and it wouldnt affect my decision in buying games since i would ignore it

5. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

No, very rarely I'll actually learn anything directly from video games.

Yes.

No

Ignore.

No.

Very rarely I'll learn anything directly from a video game, some games have some real life references, like MGS3/4 but aren't directly educational; Xenosaga is full of religious references; Sephiroth/Sephirot; Call Of Duty 1/2 having depictions of war battles; Total War having historical battles; The thing with these games is that they don't directly teach the player but they enable the player to look at these references because they turn out to be interesting to the player when they're mixed in with something they enjoy.

[me=Natewlie]misses the days where educational games were fun. Math blasters. [/me]

6. toffster92

toffster92 Well-Known Member

Ok then. Just checking. Since it seems like you're making an evidence based argumentative paper, you need to address what type of games you are looking for educational value in.

Anyways, since it's getting late over at my end I'll just answer your questions as best as I can with the fewest words possible.
    If you want more details, just PM me tomorrow.

- I'm 19 yrs old.

- It depends on what kind of game I played. If it was a big RPG game, then the things I might have learned would lean towards morality, consequences of our actions, etc. If it were games like Professor Layton or the Ace Attorney series, then I might have learned some real-world facts and some bits of trivia.

- While not exactly a requirement for me, I do look for games with a solid plot and a decent storyline. And those games usually have one or two lessons mashed in them. Games like LA Noir, which (allegedly) has a rich storyline and a very compelling plot, would definitely be on the top of my list. (as for the lessons, maybe how NOT to get caught doing crime? ;D )

- I love learning new things. If you showed me a game and told me "I learned a lot from this, you should try it" then I would not hesitate to play it.

- I'd probably take note of it, but I won't let it be the yardstick in which I determine if a game is "good" or "bad", and ultimately, whether or not I would play it. Case and point, the new Mortal Kombat game. Zero educational value, Still a pretty badass game.

- Like I said, the educational value is not so much as a hindrance for me as it is a bonus. All I need to know is if it is a good game or not. Any educational value I might derive from it is just the icing on the cake.

7. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Age?

Yes, I believe video games actually helped me learn to drive a few years ago, but nothing really vital.

If you were aware of the potential learning value of mainstream video games would you still play them?
    Yes.

Does the thought of learning from a video game discourage you from playing them?
    No.

If there was a universal rating system based on the educational values of video games would you take note of it or simply ignore it?
    It depends on the content of the game, not the educational value to me, so I guess I would take note of it.

Finally if an educational rating system was implemented would it affect the way you buy video games?
    No.

8. darkrequiem

darkrequiem Well-Known Member

Age?

Not really.

Yes.

Nope.

I would notice it, but it wouldn't affect my habits at all.

Nope.

9. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

Your from Australia, right? Video Game ratings should be something that is talked about.

Age?

Yes, all the time.

Yes, it wouldn't make a difference to me.

No.

Ignore it.

No.

10. Stanley Richards

Stanley Richards Well-Known Member

An australian talking about education in video games? Wow, the ban on MK must have really hit you guys hard.

I would participate if I were older though.

11. Evokoo

Evokoo Member

The research is just for a general overview of how people perceive education in gaming, it's not for a paper, it's to help create advertising and communications for my Design strategy class, thanks for everyone who has helped out so far keep the replies coming.

12. will1008

will1008 Well-Known Member

Age? 13.

When playing video games do you feel you learn new skills or information? I learn new words, skills and trivia from almost every game I play. Mostly new words. I think 30-40% of my vocabulary came from playing games.

If you were aware of the potential learning value of mainstream video games would you still play them? Sure, I'm not scared of learning.

No, it's 2 birds with one stone.
    Nope, most likely it wouldn't affect me at all.

13. gaynorvader

gaynorvader Well-Known Member

Age?

Yes, all the time. Most recently I was playing Civilisation 4 and learnt that Bismark had similar qualities and achieved similar things to Hitler, though on a less grand scale. Generally I learn a little from each game I play unless it's a complete fantasy world.

Yep.

Not even a little.

It would have to be reasonably detailed before I paid attention to it. A small icon saying something like "History 5-8 years old" would be meaningless to me, especially if it were universal. If I looked up a game review/website and there was a synopsis of information about what could be learnt from the game it might effect my decision to buy it.

Depends, see above response for more info.

14. wiimann

wiimann Active Member

Age? 16

When playing video games do you feel you learn new skills or information? It depends on the game.

If you were aware of the potential learning value of mainstream video games would you still play them? Yes I would.

Does the thought of learning from a video game discourage you from playing them? No, not really.

If there was a universal rating system based on the educational values of video games would you take note of it or simply ignore it? Probably ignore it.

Finally if an educational rating system was implemented would it affect the way you buy video games? No.

15. Renesha

Renesha Guest

Age?

Depends on the game, really. o.o I like games with nifty bits of information in or ones that give you stuff to think about.

Yeah, why not?

No, not at all...

Ignore it, of course. I don't object to learning but I'm not going to seek for it in vidya.

Noope, same answer as above.

16. Paddette

Paddette Well-Known Member

Age?

Many games will give you information, the relevance of that information, however, is another story.

Yes. Depending on what was on offer.

No. Again, depending on what was being taught I may find it more or less interesting.

I wouldn't care.

No it would not.

17. slapmeorelse

slapmeorelse Well-Known Member

Age?

Yes, because I usually learn new skills, strategies to form, and even a fact about life sometime

Of course, as long as they're good

Reader Rabbit - Yes. Final Fantasy - No

Ignore if it's good

Somewhat. I'll feel really weird if I bought a game with lots of blood, gore, and sexual content in front of kids looking for some typing game or what for the computer

18. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

education game already exist...goto local toy shop like Toy R'Us. But its mostly for preschooler.

but an education games for older gamer is abit tricky since not all subject is "suitable".. you know like maths... not matter how you put it, it will never be interesting... however some subject will be more interesting like history...

and to answer your question

Q1. Age?
    A1. 27

Q2. When playing video games do you feel you learn new skills or information?
    A2. depend on the game, in learn about mitochondrial in Parasite Eve (before i actually learn it in class) and my english improve greatly because of playing games

Q3. If you were aware of the potential learning value of mainstream video games would you still play them?
    A3. again depend on the game and subject, even it have huge educational value, but if its too boring or its not my favorite subject, i most likely wont touch it. But if your game is good enough, i may try it.

Q4. Does the thought of learning from a video game discourage you from playing them?
    A4. see A3.

Q5. If there was a universal rating system based on the educational values of video games would you take note of it or simply ignore it?
    A5. i dont really care about rating value, i play game from E to M. as long as the game is fun, i'll play it.

Q6. Finally if an educational rating system was implemented would it affect the way you buy video games?
    A6. by educational rating system, do you mean A+, B- ... ect grading system? most game already have their own grading system like Devil May Cry, you get rank from D to SSS. so no, it wont affect the way i buy the game.

19. Zydaline

Zydaline Well-Known Member

Age?

Not really. Few skills I could learn would benefit me in real life, and few information there are is 100% accurate.

Why not?

If it's fun.

Ignore.

No.