1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Uefa Champions League 2009/2010

Discussion in 'Sports' started by dmac154, Sep 17, 2009.

1. dmac154

dmac154 Well-Known Member

Matchday 1 (September 15&16, 2009):

[​IMG]

EDIT:

Matchday 2:

[​IMG]

2. Meramex

Meramex Well-Known Member

Finally someone who cares about the biggest league in Europe. United looked very shaky in their first match. They had most of the possession and shots on goal but lacked the finishing which is looking more and more like the problem that could lead United to their downfall this season. Hope rooney can step up and lead united to victory this season.

3. grimsim1

grimsim1 Well-Known Member

Dmac, my friend, I hate doing this but the first round of games is Matchday 1 and the games beginning on 29th September would be Matchday 2 and not 3+4. Matchday's include both the Tuesday and Wednesday games :D

Anyway, how do you guys feel about the qualification system? The exclusion of "bigger" clubs like Celtic etc is kinda a big loss but I think the new crop of smaller teams are showing they can be tough to beat. A lot of debutants this year and I think it makes it more exciting and truly a cup of champions.

4. dmac154

Gtfo with that negative speech. For the past, maybe 5 or six seasons, United has been off to a rocky start. Look how that turned out, we still won trophies, besides, the team is starting to click and find form. So have faith fellow supporter!

Fixed the matchday stuff. Yeah, I hate the fact that some of the bigger clubs aren't in it this year. Celtic has always been one of my favorite clubs and its a shame they couldn't play top flight football. But, the Europa league is looking to be interesting this year as Man City will apparently be the top dogs in that competition, plus they hope to do better in the Premier League in order to qualify for the Champions League next season.

5. grimsim1

Hmm...I don't think Manchester City are in it this year mate: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009%E2%80%9310_UEFA_Europa_League

Think it is just Fulham and Everton. Aston Villa were in there but I think they got eliminated in the qualifiers.

Anyway, it is true that not having the big teams in there kinda defeats the quality of the competition. At the same time though I believe that letting lesser teams compete improves the quality of the rest of the European clubs. Think about it. The smaller teams will generate more income and pump more cash into the football of that country which means the quality of football will slowly improve. This also means clubs in that country will become more competitive, raising the levels of the competition in the future, and giving more chance to smaller countries to improve their football locally and internationally. I think it is a good thing.

6. Meramex

One game after another. After that excruciating game with City, United have to face both wolves and stoke and then German champions Wolfsburg next week. They really have their work cut out for them. But it doesn't matter what happens.A United game is still worth watching, and win or lose i'll watch em all.

7. dmac154

[​IMG]

I didn't get a chance to watch any of the games today, so can someone fill me in?

8. Meramex

Yeah, well:

[FKRK 1-1 Inter]
    Another disappointing match from Inter. They looked shaky and went down pretty quickly but recovered with a equalizer a little later. They went a man down when some stupid kid did a stupid foul. He would've ben sent of in the first half as well but the referee was a bit lenient on him. It was a bad call from Mourinho, he should've replaced the kid at half time, and were lucky not to lose this game.

[Arsenal 2-0 Olympiakos]
    I'm surprised Arsenal didn't win with a bigger margin. At the half hour mark, arsenal had 12 shots 7 on target and about 70% possession. Olympiakos had 0 shots 0 of which were on target.

[Florentina 2-0 Liverpool]
    Disappointing from Liverpool. Florentina with two early goals both from Jovetic. Florentina had full control in the first half. But in the second half Liverpool looked a little better, but could not break down the Florentina defense which stubbornly didn't allow anyone Liverpool player in.

Post Merge: [time]1254292314[/time]
    Remember to watch tonight. United V WolfsBurg. I can't wait.

9. dmac154

[​IMG]

What a disappointing game for AC Milan, I expected them to at least draw their game. Shock win for Porto over Atletico Madrid, couldn't believe it when I saw the score. Real Madrid is just strutting their stuff as usual with a double from the 'golden boy' himself. Chelsea bounced back from their stunning loss to Wigan on the weekend. Finally, Manchester United come from behind to show the grit of Sir Alex's team.

10. grimsim1

AC Milan had a shocker hey. Wow. Otherwise no other surprises here. Man United didn't have the greatest of games but Wolfsburg are tough and winning games like that is a good sign. I am bitterly disappointed with Liverpool though. I expected at least a draw. Good matchday for the Champions League. Back to the prem league now.

11. jasperting

jasperting New Member

YES! CRUSH THEM MANCHESTER UNITED :p
    I'm biased on Man Utd XD I'm not really sure they're winning this year though. We'll just have to see.
    Real Madrid looks like they're winning this year...

12. dmac154

[me=dmac154]laughs at Real Madrid[/me]
    Money can buy you players, but not a trophy.

Honestly, these are my top teams for the CL: Barcelona, Manchester United, Chelsea and Real Madrid.
    However, I don't underestimate these teams: Liverpool, Juventus, Inter, Arsenal, Bayern Munich and Porto. (Atletico Madrid is another possibility, but I feel as if they don't have the cohesion for the CL). Also, where is AC Milan? They aren't gonna make it in my opinion.
    Everyone else is gonna drop out of the tournament early.

13. Hamdi B.

Hamdi B. New Member

Werder Bremen is the best team of europa!!!

14. dmac154

Gameweek three ladies and gents.

[​IMG]

Fiorentina doing well as I expected. Lyon pulling a big one over Rafa Benitez's men, I honestly like that result :p. Just kidding, I was a bit shocked to say the least. Sevilla produced a good result, but the game was dull in my opinion. Inter doing poorly, drawing a game with Dynamo Kiev, they are not showing that they are European giants (c'mon José). Another disappointing run for the Gunners and Arsene.

Bayern Munich, I had high hopes for them, but they ended up losing to Bordeaux. I didn't see this game, but I'd keep my eye on Bordeaux, they look like they have something to prove. Juve pulled one out of the hat with a goal from Chinelli (spelling?) in the 48th minute. Manchester United waited yet again until the second half to turn on the heat against CSKA Moscow, thanks to a goal from Antonio Valencia, the 2008 winners and 2009 runner-ups took the 3 points and edged them closer to qualifying for the knockout stage. Best match of this game week was between Real Madrid and AC Milan. Milan have not had a good spell in the Serie A, but with the Brazilian Alexandre Pato's brace, Milan defeated the new 'Galaticos' generation. Is this the end of the superstar era for Real Madrid?
    Chelsea regain some form during their match this week against Atlético Madrid. They ended the mauling with an impressive score of 4-0. Saloman Kalou scored twice for the Blues and Lampard did as well. An own goal on the part of Perea caused the fourth goal.

And that's the third gameweek. Looking forward to November 3rd!

15. langirkl

langirkl Member

COME ON CHELSEA YOU LEGENDS
    FTW

16. chelsea 4-0 athletico madrid,chelsea 5-0 blackburn id say that this year were gona win the premier leauge and the champions leauge go blues
    :D:D:D:D:D

17. Meramex

The title hopeful suits you well.

18. haha chelsea hater :p

19. Meramex

I'm not a chelsea hater. I'm just another fan of the devils from Manchester. And come on. Any team with a nickname as lame as the "BLUES" don't deserve to win anything.

20. chelsea 1-0 man utd yup were wining this year :D