1. This forum is in read-only mode.

[Tutorial] So you Want to Play FDS ROMs on a NES Emulator but don't know how?

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Cahos Rahne Veloza, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

What are NES FDS ROMs?

The Famicom Disk System or FDS in short was a Japan exclusive add-on peripheral for the Japanese release of the NES, commonly known as the Family Computer or simply Famicom. This device utilizes a proprietary diskette that stores game data instead of the usual game cartridge which allowed for better graphics &/or audio production as well as serve as a means to "save" game progress a feature that was yet unheard off during the 8-bit era.

For further information on the Famicom Disk System, view this article on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Famicom_disk_system

ROM Images that are meant for the FDS are easily distinguished from a "regular" NES ROM because of the ROM Image's ".fds" file extension.

I can't run/load my FDS Game on my NES Emulator! HELP!

As I said, FDS games are special & as such should be run/loaded differently than an ordinary NES ROM image. Unlike regular .nes files that you simply select to run/load, FDS Files need a copy of the FDS's BIOS which is commonly found on the internet as a ROM image (ending with a .nes file extension). You are on your own in locating & acquiring a copy of the FDS BIOS file, but one thing I can warn you about is that there are actually three variants of this file, one is the "official" Nintendo FDS BIOS File, the other is from the SHARP Twin Famicom variant & an unknown origin third variant. If that's not complicated enough, different NES Emulators use one of the three, not all so tracking all three down is a must if you are to play FDS ROMs on your emulator.

Once you do find these FDS BIOS Files, you need to rename them as "disksys.rom" as seen in this image.
    [​IMG]

As "disksys.rom" is what the emulator uses to boot up FDS ROMs in its environment emulating how a Famicom equipped with an FDS Device would as you turn the Famicom on.

Once the FDS BIOS is renamed as "disksys.rom, you then need to place said file into your NES Emulator's root/home folder & not in your NES ROMs folder. Under NEStopia's environment, simply placing disksys.rom into NEStopia's folder is enough to start playing an FDS game. Just load/run an FDS Game & you're good to go. However, in some cases you might need to "define" where the FDS BIOS File is at, so you need to go to your emulator's "Paths" configuration under "options > advanced" (something like that) & manually input where the FDS BIOS File is at. After all that's done simply reload your FDS ROM & play!

A Note on FCEUX, JNES, RockNES & every other NES emulator EXCEPT FOR NEStopia!

Out of every known NES Emulator, I've stuck with NEStopia as it is the easiest emulator to setup running FDS ROMs & although ROM Hackers are all over FCEUX, I have never been able to figure out how to run FDS ROMs on it so this guide is best used using NEStopia as your emulator.

2. dragneon007

dragneon007 Well-Known Member

So whats a good FD game?

3. meganova

meganova Well-Known Member

http://www.mytopdozen.com/Best_Famicom_Disk_System_Games.html
    ^ I think...

4. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

FDS, not FD 8)

Well in my own experience I like:

Super Mario Bros. 2 (Japan)