1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Tutorial: How to run newer DS games on the discontinued R4i SDHC

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by SDamonCronous, Dec 31, 2010.

1. SDamonCronous

SDamonCronous Well-Known Member

As most of us know, the r4i sdhc team have discontinued production of the old r4i sdhc carts (not the ones that have 'V1.4' or 'V1.41' on them). That is fair enough, seen as they have two newer and better carts on the market, but what is annoying is that they have stopped updating it also, so those of us (like me) who are stuck with the old cart have only one option, buy a new cart. Well... Until recently that is.
    I have found (not made, found) a way to still use our old r4i sdhc cards and play newer commercial games on them perfectly. See, an R4i sdhc is not really a clone of an R4, like the name suggests. It is actually a clone of the DSTT, an entirely different cart. Just another company trying to jump in on the R4's once infamous success, but really just ruining the brand. So, logic says that if it is a clone of a DSTT, it should be able to run DSTT firmware. So I went and found a way to keep your old R4i sdhc and still play all the new DS games that hit the market. Here is how to do it:

1. Go here: http://www.r4wood.com/pages/TTi-DSTT-Kernel.html
    2. Download the file called 'DSTTi Firmware YSMenu V6.39'
    3. Extract the folder in the archive to your desktop
    4. Go into the folder you just extracted called 'TTMenu v6.39'
    5. Drag the folder called 'TTMenu' and the files 'TTMenu.dat', 'TTMenu.nds' and 'TTMENU.SYS' to the root of your microSD (the one that you use for your your R4i, obviously)
    6. Once that has copied, go back to the site in step 1 and download the latest version of the firmware, in this case it is 'DSTTi DSTT YSMenu V6.43'
    7. Extract the archive to your desktop
    8. Go into the folder that you just extracted
    9. Copy the folder called 'TTMenu' and 'TTMenu.dat' to your MicroSD (where you copied the other folders/files)
    10. Overwrite the files if it asks
    11. Run the R4i sdhc on your DS, then boot 'TTMenu.nds'
    12. Once the file has loaded, you should be running DSTT firmware, and you should be able to play commercial games (such as super scribblenauts)
    13. There is no step 13, you are done!

As log as you keep updating your DSTT firmware version, you should be able to play many commercial games becuase the DSTT team is constantly updating the firmware to apply for newer games

I hope this helps people, because it was a life saver for me
    SDamonCronous

2. compwiz

compwiz New Member

The link you posted does not have the 'DSTTi Firmware YSMenu V6.39'. Now they are offering only 'DSTTi DSTT YSMenu V6.99'. So I downloaded that, but I cannot find the TTMenu.sys file in it.

It has a TTMenu.dat and a YSMenu.nds and the TTMenu folder. I copied all of them to the root of my folder and ran YSMenu.nds from my R4i SDHC firmware. It started fine. However, when i run a game, it shows "Booting... Creating TTMENU.sys" and gets stuck there for a long time. I dont know if the system has frozen or if its actually doing something. Its been over 1 hour now since it has shown that message.

Please help... thanks!

3. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Wasn't the post date of this topic (Friday December 31, 2010, 05:04:06 PM) enough to tell you that all relevant information the topic starter has given might already be outdated and useless to you? :p