1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Trojan Warning

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kaiden, Jan 13, 2008.

1. kaiden

kaiden Well-Known Member

I just tried to browse the romulation main page but the usual advertisement took over my page and then I got a virus alert for a trojan. I'm using avast and it aborted the connection for me so then I went straight to the forums instead.

The page was something about earning fast cash and was plain texted. no pictures.

So yeah, just letting people know to be careful and wondering if the ads can be disabled?

2. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, no the ads cannot be disabled, we pay close to $1000 a month for the site to keep running, so even just one day without ads would cost us too much. If you can describe the add in more detail I'll report it to the ad agency so they can disable it.

3. N3M351S

N3M351S Well-Known Member

Thats sounds risky, I aint coming back here until somthing is resolved! :-X

4. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

The anti virus caught it didn't it? Viruses on websites very rarely infect you, usually they need you to install some software to infect you.

5. kaiden

kaiden Well-Known Member

All i can remember was it sounding like a scam, saying earn easy cash fast! it was a plain white background and just plain text. It was reported as malware, and my anti virus insisted i abort the connection.

It was the first time i saw it, usually i get that stupid love match making thing so there really isnt anything to worry about. But yeah, if you could report it to have it removed that would be fine since the ads dont bother me as long as they dont fuck with my comp.

6. equitypetey

equitypetey Well-Known Member

i never get ads like that i only get the one that shows you videos. have you got a firewall (windows own does not count as its as good as an open gate)

7. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Heh, good thing I set opera to "block" all pop-ups, so ok the admins may not like it but I'm just being careful is all.

8. Born2killx

Born2killx Well-Known Member

I think the thing he was talking about wasn't a pop-up, but one of those screens that literally cover over the page.

Edit: Awesome, this post brought me up to "Retro Gamer"!

9. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Congratulations on "leveling up" Born2killx, now all that's left is to have your "job class" changed to moderator ;D

10. N3M351S

N3M351S Well-Known Member

this iz for you

11. lepermessiah

lepermessiah Active Member

I use an ad blocker and a script blocker to ensure that such things don't afflict me, the ones I use are 3rd party addons for firefox but I'm sure other browsers have similar things.

-LM

12. Born2killx

<plug> If you click here, you would never see them again either! ;D </plug>

Nah, if I were able to use PayPal, I would donate, cause the people here are so awesome.

13. kaiden

kaiden Well-Known Member

yeah i was planning on doing that. but then the thing happened with removing downloads. christmas came and went and then i just bought 2 metal ddr mats for $7XX today.

At the moment, I still need to sort out refunds for bad purchases over ebay. And if I can get back that $30 overdrawing fee from my bank then i'll donate. stupid fees.

~looking foward to the rest of the psx isos being uploaded ^^

14. Born2killx

I think he means a number in the 700s.

15. kaiden

kaiden Well-Known Member

XX is just any number.

I just checked and the DDR mats cost me $777AU so yeah

16. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

I normally just get the Crush Calculator ad.