1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Trimming Roms

Discussion in 'Flashcart Help' started by archlvt, Oct 8, 2010.

1. archlvt

archlvt Well-Known Member

If you've already been playing your roms, is it unsafe to trim them? Will it mess with my savegames or glitch out? I've actually been putting untrimmed games on my acekard. I thought I remember reading a long time ago, before I got a flashcart, that if you already have a save file in a game, and then you trim the rom, it'll be unplayable somehow.

2. tehuber1337

tehuber1337 Well-Known Member

It's safe. Just avoid trimming roms that have been or will need to be patched, as generally patches require clean, unmodified dumps.

3. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

And at times patches trim the roms.

You can still play it if it's trimmed like stated above.

4. archlvt

This makes things rather hard, as there's no real way for me to know whether or not a rom I have is pre-patched. From what I understand, a lot of romulation roms are pre-patched, which is there the bulk of my roms have come from.

5. tehuber1337

Eh, well, I suppose it's probably fine to trim roms that are already patched, if you must.

6. manaseater

manaseater Well-Known Member

im assuming that you want to trim them to save space on your micro sd, and that you have plenty of HDD space on your comp.

Copy rom.nds
    Paste- Rename copy of rom.nds to rom_trim.nds
    Trim rom_trim.nds
    Test
    ????
    Profit.

As for save files, ive played a few untrimmed roms and used the same save files with the trimmed game later on.

7. archlvt

Does anyone know where to get xtrim? The whole reason I brought this up is because I saw a topic about it, but the link is broken, and google isn't giving me any results except this one really shady looking website.

8. Jhon 591

Jhon 591 Well-Known Member

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=55162

Download

http://filetrip.net/f5794-NDSTokyoTrim-2-18.html

If you mean nds roms

(Note) Triming the ROM will change the seciond part of the GameID - if needed for cheats est

9. archlvt

Nah I don't use cheats of any kind.

Will this change my friend codes though?

10. Jhon 591

The links have the no how first link and seciond link for download a rom trimmer!

11. archlvt

I forgot to come back and say thanks. So thank you :)

It didn't trim them as much as I thought it would. I figured it would cut them in half. Some of them it trimmed well and others it barely shed anything off. Still, it freed up half a gig for me, so that's something. I should really invest in a 16gb, I thought 4 would be way more than I needed.

12. tehuber1337

One byte under 50% is the absolute maximum amount of space you can save. If it wasn't, the producers would've used a cheaper, smaller game card.

In most cases, the developers would rather pack as much data as they can fit, so you won't usually trim more than a few MB.

13. Jhon 591

It's ok , So game's do trim more them overs do - depense on how much uneeded data are hex they is to trim

Some game's can go down to half in size!

14. manaseater

manaseater Well-Known Member

larger capacity cards tend to be slower!

you win this way! yay! haha....

15. sodium.777

sodium.777 Member

what does trimming do?

16. tehuber1337

DS games are stored on cards with fixed capacities. If a game can't fit on a certain card, they put it on one the next size up, which is double the size of the last. The remaining blank space is filled with junk data. Trimming removes this junk data so the rom takes up less space.