1. This forum is in read-only mode.

trim ds roms

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by jt_man, Jun 20, 2010.

1. jt_man

jt_man Active Member

I was just wondering what is the "best" trimming ds rom software since my sd card seems to always be full.

2. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

i've actually been wondering what trimming means...does it mean like make the rom smaller without any loss of data or something? because if so, i second the request.

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

rom file sizes are related to the cartridge size, which are fixed. (8MB, 16MB, 32MB, 64MB and so on). Obviously games don't come in these fixed sizes, but are often in between. You cannot fit a 38MB game on a 32MB cartridge, so you have to use a 64MB cartridge. This means theres 26MB wasted space, which gets filled with empty data (all 0s) so that the image size is 64MB. Trimming removes this empty data. So yes, it can make the rom smaller (unless the game exactly fits the cartridge size without any padding), but the amount of space it saves varies between games

4. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

thanks loony, so what is the best way to trim a ROM? and is it difficult?

5. jt_man

jt_man Active Member

so what trimming rom program should i use. Apprantly, if you trim some roms some of the function of the game don't work. Is that true?

6. Fredbox

Fredbox Well-Known Member

That was true years ago, but now trimming is fine. The best one is called NDSTokyoTrim.

7. jt_man

jt_man Active Member

cool thanks

8. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

And the download link. - http://eden.fm/ndstoykotrim/

9. thomasech

thomasech Active Member

will trimming a rom with a patch or language patch damage it??

10. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

No. But most patches require a clean, untrimmed rom.
    So if you do it after, it'll be fine unless the patching process trims it.