1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Translating Dragon Quest VI: Maboroshi no Dashi

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Prectorian, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

I've been fiddling with this game for days now since its been too long waiting for the English version to come out. So far I just cracked 1 issue but I still need another problem to solve. I've found 2 file extensions that I am sure contain the text files for this game:
    .mpt <-- confirmed as of a couple of hours ago
    .dat

I've been able to crack the .mpt file with no problem ever since few hours ago which I discovered how through trial and error for days. You may see below the example of the text file that I've unraveled and had tested it on Google Translator to be sure:

:-\ File 'b0000000.mpt':
    あまり ねむれなかったのかしら?
    @c0@@a@b*「それなら いいのだけれど。
    ちょっと うなされていた
    みたいだから。
    @c0@@a@b*「無理もないわね。
    いよいよ ですものね。
    @c0@@a@b*「ところで 彼 どこまで
    見にいったのかしら……。
    ずいぶん おそいようだけど。
    @c0@@a@b*「おっ! ふたりとも もう起きてたか!
    @c0@@a@b*「ちょっと まわりを見てきたが
    やっぱ あの城に
    まちがいなさそうだぜ。

;D When translated:
    I wonder why too!
    @ C0 @ @ a @ b * "I wish I had that ...
    I had a little nightmare
    Because it seems ...
    @ C0 @ @ a @ b * "I do not blame it.
    Lot of people were ....
    @ C0 @ @ a @ b * "By the way how far did he
    I wonder if I went to see ....
    I might be a bit slower.
    @ C0 @ @ a @ b * "Oops! So you both have awaken!
    @ C0 @ @ a @ b * "I've looked around a bit
    In the nearby castle
    I think its part of a city.

The '@CO @ @ a @ b*' refer to a character name. Nothing to worry about it.

Now I just need assistance to unravel the '.dat' files such as; 'dq6_shop_message.dat'.

The problem needing to be solve is how to read the .dat files. This type of .dat is not the same with the .dat you see in TTMENU. So please don't say 'try TTDT' cause its different therefore it won't read. I've tried several other programs but have not been fruitful. Any input about what program to use to open the .dat text type would be great.

I can open it using Hex editor but problem is I do not know how to do hex editing as I've never learnt about Hex before.

I even tried a silly approach by patching the NDS version with the SFC version made by 'noprogress' which obviously didn't work. ::)
    THX.