1. This forum is in read-only mode.

total newb need advice

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by spaceroms, Feb 2, 2009.

1. spaceroms

spaceroms New Member

I only found out about the roms when a friend of mine went to North korea and purchased a rom adaptor falsh drive thing on the street.

I thought R4 was the deal now reading I am more confused than ever.

What do I need to get?

2. lilblkridinhood

lilblkridinhood Well-Known Member

well i'm not sure what your friend got but all i know is that you need a flashcart (i.e R4, M3, CycloDs, Acecard) and a micro sd memory card (1-2gb should be fine) and a micro Sd adapter. thats what i think you need correct me if i'm wrong :-\

3. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Go for Cyclo or Acekard 2, and then you'll need a MicroSD.

4. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

R4 seems to have no new updates and no support, these days many roms wont work at all on R4 so if possible go for something better, ive heard CycloDS is pretty much top of the line.

5. Barathrum

Barathrum Well-Known Member

Don't get the R4, it looks cheap, but there are no updates and newer games will not be able to be played iwth the R4. Ive never tried CycloDS, but everyone here says its good.

6. rush n kaos

rush n kaos Well-Known Member

also, many fake R4s going around. i heard if you try to install the real firmware onto a fake R4 it will brick your DS. supposedly non fixable unless reprogrammed by Nintendo, and you can't just say "uh i used a flash cart and bricked my DS"

i plan to replace mine with either Acekard 2 or CycloDS soon as well

7. Born2killx

Born2killx Well-Known Member

I don't think that sort of thing will happen if you install official firmware on a clone. That just makes no sense to me.

8. rush n kaos

rush n kaos Well-Known Member

maybe, maybe not. i heard this from quite a few guys elsewhere, i assume it is like this cause the R4 team still wants to protect their own stuff... or some other thing. it was a while ago

9. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Supposedly it does do that. Yes Nintendo obviously can fix the firmware.