1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Tomb Raider II audio problems

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Kurugi, Jan 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kurugi

Kurugi Member

Hi! I downloaded Tomb Raider II and I seem to be having a couple audio problems with it. There's audio during FMV's and I can hear the sound effects during gameplay (terrain noises, gunfire, animals, etc.), but there doesn't seem to be any music during gameplay, and when I get to an in-game cutscene (like the one at the end of the 1st level) there's no sound at all.

I'm using ePSXe 1.6.0 and I'm using Eternal SPU Plugin 1.41 but I've tried many different sound plugins (ePSXe SPU core 1.5.2, Null2's Audio Driver 1.3, and P.E.Op.S. DSound Audio Driver 1.9).

Everything else seems to be working spot on, and I don't really mind not having any music, but the no audio at all during cutscenes kind of kills the game for me since I do like to know what's going on story wise :p

Thanks for any help!

P.S. I did search the forums as well as google too and haven't really found any solutions.

P.S.S. I've tried Tomb Raider III and Last Revalation as well and the audio has no problems in either of those. I'm only having problems with II, just thought I'd mention that.

2. Jhon 591

Jhon 591 Well-Known Member

Try looking for a mdf-mds image made with Alcohol 120% of the game, If its a iso or bin-cue images, The audio tracks will be missing

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=psx+audio+tracks&btnG=Google+Search&meta=&aq=f&oq=

3. Kurugi

Kurugi Member

Yeah, I just checked the files after mounting the image and I don't see any audio tracks. That probably has something to do with it ;)

4. Jhon 591

Try first on the list with link abouth you ^ , not sure if link is working still

But hear is a list of games with cd audio tracks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_1_games_with_CD_audio_tracks

5. Kurugi

Kurugi Member

I'll give that a try, thanks :)

6. Jhon 591

Ok, Or

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=tomb+raider+2+mdf+image&meta=&aq=f&oq=

7. Kurugi

Kurugi Member

Well that first link you gave me's download is waaaaaay too slow. I've been downloading it for a few hours now and it's only at 18%, and now it's not even downloading at all >_<

I've tried several other things in the meantime, including trying to burn the .img to a CD and merging it with the audio tracks of the game i downloaded elsewhere, but the emulator can't run the game like that for some reason.

8. Jhon 591

Do you have a good bittorrent client

http://www.bittorrent.com/

This may also have audio

http://www.snesorama.us/board/showthread.php?p=412010

9. Kurugi

Kurugi Member

I've got utorrent. Not sure how much of a difference using bittorrent would make (I don't torrent that often). I'll try that other link though. Thanks again.
    Post Merge: [time]1263894429[/time]
    Well I've about tried everything I can think of and nothing's worked. I tried downloading some from the last link you gave but the files were all weird. My best bet would probably be the torrent but that would take me forever to download. I'm about ready to just give up.

10. Kurugi

Kurugi Member

Another question. Tried downloading a mdf/mds version of the game but I can't get it to play. I tried converting it to .bin and .iso formats but I can't get it to play in my emulator, after mounting it of course. Am I doing something wrong? Or it may just be the files were corrupted since after mounting it I couldn't seem to open any of the folders without getting an error.

11. meganova

meganova Well-Known Member

Try using PSX emulator.

12. Jhon 591

Run the MDS image, with both in same folder

13. meganova

Before that, try using the latest version 1.7.0, and also latest plugins.

14. Jhon 591

I do have the original tomb raider 2 disc, And when i convert it to MDF-MDS image's with CD-XA tracks by Alcohol 120%, it works very fine with pSX v1.13, so they is no resion why it should not

Without CD-XA tracks it can cause crash problems

15. Kurugi

Kurugi Member

Tried running MDS image but it keeps telling me "unable to mount image. Invalid image file".

I've tried both pSX 1.13 and tried ePSXe 1.7.0 and the problem persists. One difference that I have noticed between when I mount the Tomb Raider 2 image file and when I mount Tomb Raider 3 is that Tomb Raider 3 has two folders that Tomb Raider 2 does not, the "CUTS" folder and the "XA" folder. However, this wasn't from the MDF/MDS file as I couldn't get those files to do anything for me at all.

So yeah, not sure if that makes any difference but it's just an observation I noticed.

Oh, one other thing to mention is that I have gotten the music in Tomb Raider 2 working. I switched my cdrom plugin to Mooby2 cd disk image driver 2.8 and the music works now, but still no cutscene audio.

16. Jhon 591

deleted

17. meganova

One question.
    From where did you download that game?

I have google for your problem, and found an exact thread of yours from another forums.

18. Jhon 591

I think he DL from http://www.snesorama.us

19. Kurugi

Kurugi Member

Originally I downloaded it from emuparadise.org but I also downloaded it off of here too. I also tried a few of the downloads from the links Jhon591 provided but they all seemed to be either incomplete, broken, or corrupt.
    Post Merge: [time]1263999198[/time]
    I tried a few of those downloads yes, but I couldn't get any of them to work (the file would either be missing or incomplete, or I'd get errors when trying to run them, i.e. the invalid image error when I tried to mount the MDS file, unless I didn't do something correctly).

20. meganova

Try redownload it again using Download Manager.
    I mean from this site.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.