1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Time for a new DS - any advice on flashcarts?

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by mysticaloctopus, Nov 11, 2008.

1. mysticaloctopus

mysticaloctopus Well-Known Member

Well, some time ago my precious DS got nicked, and whoever did it made off with a pristine ds lite and an M3 full of my save files. I've finally decided I have the money to replace it, but I've been out of the scene for a while, so I don't know what's good to get as far as flashcarts, or which sites are currently selling them and not ripping people off in the EU. Something with GBA emulation would be a nice plus, so I'm thinking of getting an M3 real, but as to where to buy it... last time I used divieno, who seem to have vanished into the aether at this point in time.

Sorry to sound like a complete nubcake!

2. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Get a Cyclo. Near perfect compatibility with ROMs, good DLDI and patching and FAT support for homebrew, heaps of updates, new features, like in-game text reader and save states.

http://www.realhotstuff.com/

http://dealwoot.com/

For Slot 2, You should get a EZ Flash-V, try to get just a Slot 2 package without the Slot 1 (includes rumble pak inside GBA cart), it would be cheaper and you wouldn't need the Slot 1 flashcart of the package if you have already gotten your Cyclo etc. If you do get this, hopefully the Cyclo can boot to Slot 2 or GBA Mode so you can access your EzFlashV and that it can automatically boot forward and back between the two. Or just add a modified bootloader to the ezflashv so that it boots first. Although I'm unsure if Cyclo takes over the DS firmware like the R4 does. Anyways if Cyclo can't boot to Slot 2, this would be major fail (mostly for homebrew testing of rumble and motion etc. even though you can get Slot 1 motion carts). Anyways, just check out the CycloDS review at http://www.gbatemp.net/ then Reviews.

And Divineo are still around. Don't know what gave you that idea. Probably you couldn't spell it and couldn't get to the site. http://divineo.com/

3. mysticaloctopus

mysticaloctopus Well-Known Member

Okay, so I typed the site wrong. Twice.

May I borrow a plank to whack myself over the head with?

4. cactusjack901

cactusjack901 Member

for SLOT-1, get yourself an Acekard 2, I did a little shopping around before I made my decision on what to buy. I have absolutely NO complaints about this card, the interface is good, I haven't found a rom that didn't work, haven't found any homebrew that didn't work, FAT support. It can use R4 cheat databses, everything. It's great, my favorite feature, is that it doesn't take over the DS firmware.

As far as SLOT-2 goes, I can't help ya, sorry

By the way, I'm cactusjack901, nice to meet you all

5. pugmalion1

pugmalion1 Well-Known Member

I've yet to have any complaints about my R4, but I'd recommend going with the Cyclo over it. I didn't do enough research into all of the carts before buying, and had I known the limitations of R4 (small-ish memory capacity, save file incompatibilities, etc.). I haven't experienced anything I haven't been able to work around, yet, but another option would probably provide you with less of a hassle.

As for where to buy, I can't rave about realhotstuff.com enough. I've ordered from them three times now, and I've gotten my item at a good price, usually along with something free (like a 2gb SD Card), and all three times it took less than two days to arrive at my front door. Great place from which to buy.

6. cactusjack901

cactusjack901 Member

I just used Amazon.com, I was able to buy my Koss Portapros, my Acekard 2, and my 4 GB Sandisk MicroSD with adapter for about....$80, I think it was

7. Tubenz

Tubenz Member

DONT get Acekard, its build quality is just baaaad, mine broke after 3weeks :'(. Then i bought M3 Real, and im very pleased with it. A good site to order flashcarts is www.dealextreme.com

8. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

RomUlation reccommend the CycloDS for slot 1 (several staff members have them, not me)

9. cactusjack901

cactusjack901 Member

I've had mine for about a month now, disassembled it several times, still works, still stays together, still great. I honestly don't know why people keep saying the build quality is bad (granted, it almost never leaves my DS, but still)

10. padawon1234

padawon1234 Active Member

I completely agree with getting an M3 Real. M3 Real is the best cart I've owned, although the menu screen is slightly slower than other carts. It can load up GBA games and GBA homebrew, as well as NDS games and homebrew, and it supports cheat functions for both, and it supports SDHC, which is uber awsome. and yeah, www.realhostuff.com for the win! I bought from them and they were REALLY fast in shipping, and had great deals too ^.^

11. padawon1234

padawon1234 Active Member

Just make sure you get the one with the "GBA Expansion Pack" on it. Oh yeah, and make sure you have the right size container for whatever you have, whether it be DS Lite or DS Phat. If you have the DS Phat you have to get another case to put the GBA Expansion pack into or it won't fit. If you have a lite don't worry cause it already comes in a lite case.