1. This forum is in read-only mode.

This is a thread about musical jugs

Discussion in 'Music' started by Void, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Void

Void Well-Known Member

The eponymous jug is just that: an empty jug (usually made of glass or stoneware) played with the mouth. With an embouchure like that used for a brass instrument, the musician holds the mouth of the jug about an inch from his or her mouth and emits a blast of sound, made by a "buzzing" of the lips, directly into it. The jug does not touch the musician's mouth, but serves as a resonating chamber to amplify and enrich the sound made by the musician's lips. Changes in pitch are controlled by loosening or tightening the lips. An accomplished jugplayer might have a two octave range. Some players augment this sound with vocalizations, didgeridoo style, and even circular breathing. In performance, the jug sound is enhanced if the player stands with his back to a wall, which will reflect the sound toward the audience.

They are pretty good, am I right? Sadly the jug has gone out of style.

2. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

http://www.collegehumor.com/video/3456445/thinking-jug-extended-version

3. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

And here I thought I'd see a thread about boobs &/or tits T_T

4. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

Mind out of the gutter, we're sophisticated men.

5. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I was actually expecting it to be about tibetan singing bowls, since it was recently reported that physicists have finally discovered how they work.

6. Fredbox

Fredbox Well-Known Member

I thought they worked like singing wine glasses. We've known how they work for a while now. Or am I missing a joke?

7. Void

Void Well-Known Member

I could be missing something cause I don't know much about tibetan singing bowls (shit, or wine glasses) but it seems like they're both basic examples of resonance. As are jugs.

8. Fredbox

Yeah. In the case of the glass (and I assume bowl), it's caused by the friction of the finger on the edge. Quite straightforward. Unless we don't know how singing wine glasses work, and I'm talking out of my ass (has been known to happen before). However, they do work in the same way, because I own a tibetan singing bowl, and it's awesome!

9. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I dont remember the exact details but IIRC it was something to do with surface tension of the liquid in the bowl, and resonance was also involved.

10. Fredbox

But they don't have to have have liquid in to work...
    Maybe it wasn't news, just an interesting article you read?
    Oh well, doesn't matter.
    Now can we please try to keep it on topic guys? Jeez...