1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Thinking of buying a PSP, but i have these Questions...

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Aldar, Oct 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aldar

Aldar Well-Known Member

I Was looking in to getting a PSP from some local vendor, but i wanted to ask a couple question's about it first.

1) Can you do the same type of emulation of old-school systems/games on the PSP?
    2) Does the PSP roms work the same way as the DS? (meaning can i just download at will and add them to a memory stick and play them the same as i add .nds games to my CycloDS?)
    2b) If so, are there any rom sites like Romulation that host PSP game's?
    3) How well does the internet work on the PSP compared to a DSi (speed, does it allow flash, etc..)

These are the most important question's i have to ask at the moment.
    Thank you in advance for any information you decide to share with me. ;D

2. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

The PSP can emulate older systems, just like the DS can. It can do it better since it's more powerful :)

PSP games are downloaded as ISOs (or compressed ISOs) and put on the memory stick to play. But you have to have Custom Firmware installed on your PSP in order to do this. The PSP 1000 and early 2000 models can be fully hacked to install custom firmware, allowing easy playing of downloaded PSP games. Later PSP 2000s and the PSP 3000 models can only run a Custom Firmware "environment" that mimics Custom Firmware, allowing you to play PSP games and homebrew.

You can find most PSP games at www.pspisoz.com

The internet works fairly well on the PSP, but not great. Flash is not fully supported, you cannot view websites like youtube.com through the browser, you can use some homebrew applications to do it though.

A few links you should read:
    https://www.romulation.org/forum/index.php?topic=12875.0
    https://www.romulation.org/forum/index.php?topic=19465.0

3. Aldar

Aldar Well-Known Member

Thank you for your information, and the link's.
    It is appreciated. :)

edit
    ----

Wow... i had no idea the games varied in size so dramatically.
    Just in one section i see between 80mb and 1.5gb in total size.
    Nice site though, thanks again.

4. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

You can reduce the size of the files if they are in .iso format by compressing them into ".cso" format.

Google "iso compressor".

It only works on psp games-and if it's already a .cso file it will un-compress it.

5. theunderling

theunderling Well-Known Member

Bear in mind that there is a lot less available roms for the PSP compared to the DS.But the PSP is better for watching movies.

6. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

AS well as music and several other, homebrew apps...

Look about-plenty of stuff on the psp compared to what the ds can do :)

(even you tube XD)

7. theunderling

Better buttons,bigger screen etc etc LOL

8. DTheRPGFan657289

DTheRPGFan657289 Well-Known Member

The PSP has virtually the same set up as most other systems. The DS games can be played on it, but some that require the use of a touch screen to play will be hard to do. Otherwise, the PSP is an ideal way to run older format games on it, especially PS1 games. If I can afford it at some point, I'm just going to buy an older model PSP that works perfectly and the following can be used, but there's alternative ways:

-Magic Memory Stick
    -Pandora Battery
    -Memory stick for game storage (4 or 8 GBs work so far, but I hear 16 GBs can work with certain firmware updates)

Like the other guys say on this post, youtube PSP Modding, find out what you need, and save up for them.

9. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Also don't forget the softmod-totally free-it's in ma sig :)

And get a 2000 model-use my guide and it will help you out determining if it's compatible for a full softhack-if not-I have an alternitive just for that :)

(BTW-I actually was saying you can watch youtube on psp with the right software XD)

10. Aldar

Aldar Well-Known Member

I Believe i will get one soon (within the week or so), and i will post if i have any real issues, but i will be saving this topic so i can check all the info and advice you guy's have given to help.
    Thanks again everyone.
    The RomUlation forums are a great source of information and help.
    Just wish RU would host PSP roms as well someday.

11. theunderling

You can get a 2nd hand psp1000 off Ebay for about £40 max,or a faulty one with non-working UMD for cheaper as you wont need that anyway.

I have 2.8 PSP's LOL.

12. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

We used to, but once the demo's were released, they took them off.

The point like romU like many other sites, is to try before you buy-not to actually keep playing them.

Also here is the reccomended site since...while it has other roms they are hardly worth anything.

www.pspisoz.com

It's one of romU's partner sites :)

13. Aldar

Aldar Well-Known Member

If i really like a game and can spare the cash i always prefer to buy it, but i like to try almost all games.
    Most of the games aren't even close to being worth buying, but i keep them anyway because they bring a small amount of entertainment value.
    Example, i DO plan to buy KH shortly, maybe the new Spore, and possibly the new Mario+Luigi game.
    That's just me though.

14. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

I'm anti sony...so most of the time, I buy $200 worth of psp games..dump them, and return..

And keep the isos-saves on downloads AND cash XD

I only have a few real games...namco and konami I shan't touch-thier games are worth it :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.