1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Thinking of buying a Nintendo DS

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by Unzaree, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Unzaree

Unzaree Member

First post here, sorry if there's already a topic like this one or if it is in the wrong section, I suck at searching :$.

Basically I want to buy a Nintendo DS, I would like to know your opinion on which of them to buy DS, DS Lite or DSi with it's pros and cons, also I intend to buy a flashcard or whatever the name, the thing that will let me play the roms on this website so if you could also recommend one I'd be glad.

Thanks in advance.

2. ggrroohh

ggrroohh Well-Known Member

If your buying a flashcard,go for the acekard2i(Or something,I dunno how you spell it)
    As for the DS,I'll wait for someone to elaborate,I only have a DSlite.
    Just remember after you bought one don't complain the graphics sucks

3. Unzaree

Unzaree Member

Nah, don't really care about the graphics that much, the content is what matters and I've tried a few games on desmume and they are really cool and collected some info on other games also :p

4. fahsky

fahsky Well-Known Member

I'd recommend the DS-lite. The original DS will get the job done, if you just want the cheaper route. However, the lite has the advantage of improved battery life, lighter design, & better screens with more brightness settings (versus the original's backlight on/off). They also relocated the power button, making it a switch on the side to prevent accidentally hitting it when using the D-pad. The stylus is also larger & easier to hold - the original's teensy stylus gives me a hand cramp. Both also play GBA games, or have the second port to emulate the GBA, if you prefer. Flashcards that are compatible with the original are compatible with the lite, & vice versa. However, they will not work on the DSi - you have to look for the new cards that are specifically made for the DSi.

I'd advise not to get the DSi - not only is it more expensive, it is slightly bulkier than the DS-lite & has much reduced battery life. The cameras are entirely worthless, unless you're under the age of 8 & find taking pictures of your friends & doing silly things to them as the epitome of 'fun'. You lose the ability to emulate GBA games. There will be exclusive DSi games in the future, but I honestly do not see Nintendo alienating 65 some million current owners of original DS's & DS-lites; I think they're more likely to release two versions of a game.

5. ggrroohh

You didn't mention the lite is more fragile compared to the original one

6. hahahahaha

hahahahaha Well-Known Member

I completely agree with fahsky, the DS lite would be the best choice.

7. Fredbox

Fredbox Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think the DS lite would be your best bet. As for a flashcard, the best would be the CycloDS. It has a great support team, which means that if a new game comes out that doesn't work, they'll fix the firmware quickly. And it has some useful features, such as the ability to view a walkthrough for the game you're playing without quitting the game. It has a few other useful features, but I can't remember, and you can find out by going to their website. So that's what I would advise.

8. Soluri

Soluri Well-Known Member

Hmm, like everyone already said, go for a lite. Dsi is missing a gba port, and it will cost more time to charge it, and less playtime ;)

9. Unzaree

Unzaree Member

But can I play the GBA games with the flashcard also? Since what I'm interested in is playing games through the flashcard the gba roms would be a good addition but if it's only the cartdriges than I don't really care much xd

10. Linkrocker

Linkrocker Member

You can only play GBA games with a slot-2 cartridge add-on.

11. that3d-trapezoid

that3d-trapezoid Well-Known Member

CycloDS has some GBA rom-playing capability. But the roms would have to be properly patched.
    As a minus, from what I've heard, CycloDS is the most expensive flashcart out there.

12. asdzxc123789

asdzxc123789 Well-Known Member

good ol Ds Lite.
    No upgrade problems
    GBA slot

13. Unzaree

Unzaree Member

So.. any good alternative to CycloDS? It does look expensive (about 50€?) but well I'd like one that can run most games.

14. ggrroohh

acekard2i (Or something,can't remember the name correctly)
    What ever you do,DO NOT get an R4.
    Damn thing's outdated and fakes are everywhere

15. timmy1991

timmy1991 Well-Known Member

Hey, I like my R4....

I hear that the Edge card is a pretty close match to the CycloDS

16. that3d-trapezoid

that3d-trapezoid Well-Known Member

CycloDS is very close to Edge's design. Thus leading people to believe that it's a ripoff copy. But Edge is good in its design in its own way. For one, it's less expensive, and has very little to no flaws. That alone was enough to convince me to buy one.

CycloDS is almost the same as Edge, only with more features and such. NDS ROM compatibility should be about the same.

17. ggrroohh

I like my R4 too,but not being able to play That new mario RPG really pisses me off.

18. timmy1991

timmy1991 Well-Known Member

heh... I can wait for the R4 fix... haven't really liked the other mario RPG's too much, but that's just because I'm not too much of an RPG person, more FPS and such

19. tool86

tool86 Active Member

the acekard2i is so far the best card there is (in my opionion)
    my r4i just got wasted because of the 1.4 update, so i got my acekard and *bamm* back in the business ^^

20. Unzaree

Unzaree Member

Hmm and any idea where I could buy acekard2i? A website that ships to Portugal and isn't very slow to deliver? (like 5 days I guess)