1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Theory says this Universe is a hologram

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adnan1992, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Adnan1992

Adnan1992 Well-Known Member

Look at this link:

http://www.crystalinks.com/holouniverse1.html

I kind of understand what it's theorizing but still WTF?

Can someone care to explain?

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

not likely, the amount of power that would be needed would be virtually impossible to sustain, if generate at all

3. ultra

ultra Guest

everything is possible when your imagination exists.

4. Void

Void Well-Known Member

This theory isn't anything new, but I don't think energy would be a problem. Let's say, theoretically, that this is true. The energy we know only exists in our universe, it wouldn't necessarily apply to the 'outside', if that makes any sense. :\

5. Adnan1992

Whats outside the rim of the universe is a complete mystery. I for one would like to go there.

6. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Me too.

7. jadin72

jadin72 Well-Known Member

i dont get it... a physical hologram? and if its just a trick of light, how is it touchable? how is it composed of teh materials we use, see, touch, smell, taste, hear?

8. nomercy

nomercy Well-Known Member

Ah well, the world was flat and the center of the universe a few hundred years ago. I bet they'll laugh about us a few hundred years in the future when they discover from fossils that the universe existed of 'matter and energy'.

There's probably more out there than meets the eye.

9. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Yeah, like giant transformer robots!! lol :D

10. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

physical hologram? ...*walks away*......

11. Adnan1992

Isn't there a certain type of particle that abides the laws of phyiscs but can also be in two plces at once, go through walls and other freaky things? Read it in a book somewhere

12. nomercy

nomercy Well-Known Member

Anything can go through a wall unharmed, the chance of that is just very small (10^-80..ish). Atoms are empty for the biggest part.

13. mysticaloctopus

mysticaloctopus Well-Known Member

I love getting philosophical over things like this. I end up with a metaphorical headache afterwards, and never come to a conclusion, but it's fun. Trying to debate something like this with someone else? I won't voice my opinion on things like this to a lot of people because you cannot come to a conclusion. Neverending arguments, here we go!
    Highlight below only if you wish to discuss this with me sensibly.
    THE UNIVERSE IS THE RED KING'S DREAM!

14. Adnan1992

Hey, never ending arguements are a good way to excersize the brain. So... I am hypothetically going to say that I believe that this theory is the real theory of the Universe. Everyone argue against me and we'll see what happens.

PS ( I still don't understand half the things that that web page is saying. Oh well)

15. monter

monter Guest

If they can explain that. Then can they explain why i think the moon is made of cheese.

16. sir spamalot

sir spamalot Well-Known Member

you people need to read "New Scientist" magazine - a big empty patch in the universe no one can explain has some theorists saying it's another universe pushing against ours - part of the multiple [million] universe theory.

and another theory thinks the universe... no, i'd better not say

as terry pratchet (who isn't a theorist) said: it's magic until you know how it's done

17. iamlegend

iamlegend Well-Known Member

An empty patch in the universe....??
    This all has me very confused...
    I was under the impression that the universe was the be all and end all...everything exists within the universe
    ....and there is nothing "outside" the universe....not even empty space...

????

18. Loonylion

No such thing as 'empty' space. On the subatomic level theres a hell of a lot going on in space.

19. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

^ how bout a vaccum loony? whats in that :p

and ive just read a thing about black holes which doesnt agree with this at all.

also yeah a physical hologram? perhaps the odd planet or galaxy or two could be an illusion or light trick but the entire universe? shit people are still arguing over whether or not the universe even exists!
    but i guess a theory is only a theory, if it got someone through thier thesis then job well done :p

20. Loonylion

a vacuum is an absence of molecular matter, Space is not a complete vacuum because subatomic particles called 'quarks' and their antiparticles are continually being created and annihilating each other. Space is, in essence, a giant nuclear reactor.