1. This forum is in read-only mode.

The Wonderful World of Geocaching

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Kyol, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Kyol

Kyol Member

So- Not sure if many of you are into this, or know what it is, so I'll start with a short introduction. Geocaching is, very simply, GPS Treasure hunting. Other people hide caches around their homes, or near places they enjoy visiting, and other people look up the coordinates and try to find the hidden box/container and sign the log, and even trade items like coins and other small items.

I've been geocaching for about 3 months now using my iPhone 3G and a Garmin eTrex Legend. Anyone else geocache?

2. kamuikurou

kamuikurou Well-Known Member

Nice, this is new to me. :D I wonder if there's already a growing geocaching community in my country. This sounds damn fun. :) Can you use any type of GPS to find the caches?

3. Kyol

Kyol Member

You absolutely can. A lot of people use the in-car style Garmin or TomTom GPS. If you're interested in finding Geocaches in your area, go to http://www.geocaching.com and follow the steps on the front page. I have 50+ caches just in my county.

4. ybom

ybom Well-Known Member

Interesting that there's a topic about this. The church I go to has one implanted in this big tree and people go to it and "leave a message" on it somehow, not sure if it has internal drive space or something online. If anyone is doing this in FL, US, pm me and I'll point you to it.

5. timmy1991

timmy1991 Well-Known Member

I've done this out in the desert in Arizona... it's amazing where people hide these things at

6. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

I've gone hunting for a couple of these in my spare time. There are a few around my town, and I found one at the local university.