1. This forum is in read-only mode.

The Ultimate Emulator

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cahos Rahne Veloza, May 15, 2008.

1. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

I've been thinking, since there are now several good 100% working Emulators out there & several have gone open source, why hasn't anyone or any group compiled all of 'em & make an ultimate Emulator, you know, one that will play them all?

Say you want to play a NES title, it can. Then say you changed your mind & wanna play a Genesis title, it can & so forth.

I know one reason would be the amount of programming this undertaking will require, & it probably will have to be done by uber genius programmers. But think about it, no more needing different Emulators to play different console titles, just one uber kewl one is enough. ;D

2. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

There's the MESS emulator, can play games from heaps of various consoles, don't expect them to work good though. http://www.mess.org/

3. Cahos Rahne Veloza

So there already is one, but it still needs a heck of alot work, my bad, man anand, you sure know alot when it comes to these things, good thing you're on RomUlation's side :)

4. anandjones

There's this one also http://forums.emulator-zone.com/showthread.php?t=5698 It's a project, probably hasn't even been updated.

5. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

How in hte world do you find everything Anand?

6. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

lol dont under-estimate google :p

7. anandjones

Google is awesome. The first link I got from this other post in another thread somewhere.

8. MusicAddict911

MusicAddict911 Well-Known Member

Pretty cool.

Google definitely is your friend. :p

9. N3M351S

N3M351S Well-Known Member

Imagine Internet life without google. Or different search engine sites!

10. Cahos Rahne Veloza

The posts have gone off topic guys :-\

11. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

mess emulates many, but i prefer having many emulators than mess.

12. anandjones

Yes, definitely as MESS focuses on a lot of emulators, not on one, so the chances it will emulate a lot of games properly on a system are nearly 0.

13. BloodVayne

BloodVayne Well-Known Member

With MESS it's a mess to get games working and properly/well. (pun fully intended). Separate emulators tend to play the ROMs better than "combined" ones from my experience. Anyways, it's going to take one hell of a code to make an emulator to play all games...

14. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

'Jack of all trades and master of none'

15. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

fusion is also an example of that kind of emulators. it emulates all the sega consoles.

16. maplemaniac101

maplemaniac101 New Member

I think that if the MESS has different BIOS load options, then it will reduce the chance of emulating certain games incorrectly eg. If I want to play Neo-Geo games, I can just slot the Neo-Geo BIOS in, and play as per normal. Got this idea from MAME :)

17. casper1910

casper1910 Well-Known Member

Yea it would be cool if there was an emulator that worked 100% for every systems roms. I don't mind havin a few different emulators though, doesn't bother me :)