1. This forum is in read-only mode.

The site may be safe, not the people downlaoding

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tidus1177, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Tidus1177

Tidus1177 Member

Dear fellow members of romulation, yes the tracker is gonna save the site, but it is not gonna save the individual you from the clutches of the ESA or any organization that is cracking down on roms. they cant hurt the site but they can go after the individual person downloading using the tracker. so let you all be warned 8) 8)

2. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

That's the danger of using trackers, but as far as I know the ESA don't bother with going after individual people, and with technologies such as peer guardian you can cut it down heavily.

3. Crashtehelf

Crashtehelf Well-Known Member

they are more interested in getting the people who put the pirated software on the internet, not the leechers; because if there is no one to share content, there will be no leechers

4. Aegix

Aegix Well-Known Member

:p I don't care. As long as the site is up in some function (even just the forums) I'm happy.

5. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

That would be like killing a wasp and leaving the nest. They aren't likely to do it.

6. Tidus1177

Tidus1177 Member

Yes peer gurdian helps but even using it i got a sease and diseas or what ever for downlaoding a game, even with the peer guardian on.

7. Seph

Not saying it can't happen, just saying it makes it more unlikely.
    Also stay clear of large public trackers, something as small as RomUlation would be wouldn't have quite the same level of monitoring.

8. MusicAddict911

MusicAddict911 Well-Known Member

Can I ask why your computer was confisicated? Just wondering. :p

9. Void

Void Well-Known Member

I share neonfire's curiosity. :p

Anyways, I'm not too worried about it. It's a risk you take with everything related to piracy. If you use your head, you can avoid most problems.

10. kaiden

kaiden Well-Known Member

oh noes! i must prepare myself against the australian government!

11. cfiniris

cfiniris Well-Known Member

Excuse my ignorance, but......how exactly is that any different from before?

12. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

LMAO yes, also I am in New Zealand, as if Helen Clarke is gonna do anything ! :p

13. Seph

Because before only WE had the logs, when you download via torrents technically everyone you download from has the logs.

14. sir spamalot

sir spamalot Well-Known Member

i like the forum... i say this site should host some homebrew as well

15. DrWarm

DrWarm Member

Yeh I like living in little Australia sometimes, for reasons like this. Although anything can change in the future.

I would imagine that in other countries you would still have to do something pretty extreme to be hunted down by the feds, especially since millions of ppl use torrents.

The benifit I've heard of using PeerGuardian is that the feds aren't supposed to share files, or download illegally themselves and this blocks IPs that just sit there?

I think for romulation, you should definately set it up like many sites do where you need to put your password in to download a torrent file and make it so you need to maintain a certain ratio. Also helps out your bandwidth!!

Just my thoughts.

16. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

what happens is the feds upload stuff, then arrest the people that download it. Peer guardian blocks known IPs that belong to law organisations. However, if you do get caught from this, you can plead entrapment, which is illegal in most civillised countries and such a plea would make any evidence against you inadmissible. Entrapment is the act of encouraging someone to break a law so that you can bust them. The feds offering the software is considered encouragement, therefore if you entered a plea of entrapment in such a situation it is highly likely the case would be thrown out.

17. jinja

jinja Well-Known Member

anybody in south africa looking over their backs wondering if the ESA is watching?

18. Seph

The ESA only really operate inside the US...

19. jinja

jinja Well-Known Member

safe

20. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

so now this have just become just like Torent Tracker.....damn....i dont really like torrent....anyway i'm glad that the site is back online..and i dont think they will come up to all the user, if they do, I'm in Malaysia i would like to see them capture me. XD