1. This forum is in read-only mode.

"The other" search engine

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cahos Rahne Veloza, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

OK, so when someone asks for advice or technical assistance, people here on RomUlation usually end up saying things like "google search it" or "try googling it". I agree with everyone here that google's great & all, but doesn't anyone use Yahoo anymore?

Yeah Google is 10 times better than Yahoo but the later was in business years before the former. So what are your thoughts, has Yahoo really gone down for the count?

2. Sbf93

Sbf93 Well-Known Member

Yeah, for some years i used Yahoo more than google, but now i know that goolge is 1000x better as yahoo.

I found sites or downloads quicklier with google than with all other sites together.

3. Born2killx

Born2killx Well-Known Member

Quicklier? :p

Personally, I shun the use of Google as a verb. I use Yahoo!, because it's my homepage and I use their mail.

4. Cahos Rahne Veloza

That seems to be all that's left for Yahoo!, peaople registering for Yahoo!'s e-mail service as Yahoo! mail is still more recognized. Only recently have I learned that there was Gmail.

5. dmac154

dmac154 Well-Known Member

google is the better search engine, but i still use yahoo! for e-mail stuff. (just because i have it as homepage)

6. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

I used to use Yahoo search engine a lot, until I found out about Google. Of course Yahoo started when the internet started, so I ended up using that for a few years, not too sure about Google's start date. I use Google now, only because it's a much simpler search engine, I occasionally use Yahoo! if I can't seem to find what I'm looking for on google, as they all have different results on the page.

7. Cahos Rahne Veloza

OK since it's on topic:

Do you think the Microsoft buy off of Yahoo! will effect Google's user base? Or is it just proof that Yahoo! has seen the last of its days?

8. BloodVayne

BloodVayne Well-Known Member

For me, google loads faster, has a cleaner interface, and gets me results that I want most of the time. Yahoo is still an alternative if google doesn't, and I still use it for Yahoo Messenger. Microsoft buyout or no buyout, Yahoo needs to improve to be able to compete at Google's level right now which is some 60+ percent search market share. In my eyes, it's at an identity crisis: trying to be a search engine, service provider, or content provider, with most of them failing.

9. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

I find the search engine blackle loads pages faster that google for whatever reason. Blackle is a google search, but the background is black to save power, which indeed only saves energy on CRT screens, not LCD screens. Google should stay the same old search engine, I'd be satisfied with that. Gmail is okay I guess, but at least it doesn't slow down the improvement of Google, if there is any :p

10. Born2killx

Born2killx Well-Known Member

Google loads faster because there is only one image on the page. Yahoo, however, uses far more visual appeal, with images, sometimes Flash, and JavaScript. And it's just plain bigger.

11. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

It's off. Yahoo! refused their offers and M$ gave up.

12. Void

Void Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Yahoo is far from dead, but it's mostly used by those who are, well, computer-retarded. That's a poor term to use, but when it comes right down to it, Google is the superior search engine. And the battle over Yahoo is definitely not over. Right now, Yahoo is between offers from Microsoft and Google. If Microsoft purchases buys it, MS has a huge chance of essentially taking Google, along with it's MSN engine. Google simply can't let that happen, and you know Yahoo simply loves the position it's in at the moment.

PS: It should also be noted that Yahoo has significantly higher page views also because of it's other services, such as news and email.