1. This forum is in read-only mode.

The new Wii HD

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by Fwow13, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Fwow13

Fwow13 Member

Has anyone else out there heard or read about this?

http://www.whattheyplay.com/blog/2008/09/30/new-wii-due-by-2011/

2. sam12442

sam12442 Member

whats the point in it ???

3. Fwow13

Fwow13 Member

I was just wondering if anyone else out there knew anything about it. If they are bringing out a new gen Wii, then it would probably solve a lot of issues that people have with the Wii now - HD support, increase storage capacity, etc.

4. Noop

Noop Member

'Bout time, I might actually get one of these. 480p on a large LCD screen is just not pretty. That is one of the largest hold backs for me. Not like it woulda killed them to put 720p in the Wii, but I guess this net iteration will do some justice. I'm assuming they mainly left it out to keep costs down and test the waters with the whole motion sensing idea.

5. shadowknuxem

shadowknuxem Member

So does this mean that any new Wii games will have to be on the new Wii? Because if the games are going to be made to push the new hardware's limits, then there is no way that the old Wii could even be close to running it.

6. fallenleader

fallenleader Guest

they will probably pull a sony and release hd and 480p versions of games, and ween people away from the original wii over time.

sony still hasn't and is forced to release games on ps2 and 3, 3 being garbage.

Edit: xbox had no trouble, and the old wii games would be backwards compatable, being that all the old wii games would work on new wii. now, question is, the downloaded stuff like games and all. wii's are unlike other systems, others hold an account in your name for re download or something, the wii holds your console, if its broken you lose the ability to redownload free.

look it up, i might be wrong.

7. shadowknuxem

shadowknuxem Member

That I know is wrong. I had to get another wii and I could redownload my games for free. You have to make an account on nintendo's site and then register your wii to the account. In theory you should be able to do the same when you get a new wii.

8. fallenleader

fallenleader Guest

one of the systems had trouble, maybe it was the 360.

it was in gameinformer? not a big deal.

9. lilblkridinhood

lilblkridinhood Well-Known Member

so the Wii's black?

10. shadowknuxem

shadowknuxem Member

that might have been some random pic from before the wii came out. At first they were planning to allow multiple colors (red, blue, black, lime green) but for some reason, they decided to just use white.

Not saying the new wii won't be black, I'm just putting in my opinion as to where the pic came from.

11. Born2killx

Born2killx Well-Known Member

Interesting. By 2011, however, Nintendo's perception of "next-gen" would have become Micro$oft and Sony's perception of "retro".

12. ultra

ultra Guest

remember what nintendo has said about graphics, it's not the deciding factor any more and has become a commodity.
    compare dx9 to dx10, though you can tell the difference, but while playing you'll barely care or notice much. play gears of war or lost planet on pc and you'll see that it's barely noticeable unless of course you stop and put your face close to the monitor to check out the details.

2011?! i doubt it. we'll probably see one later after 2011, so maybe 2012,2013 but not 2011. the one thing we do know is that it won't simply be a wii with newer components. it'll be something out of the ordinary, what that is will be told when the time arrives of the unvailing of the new nintendo system. but one thing is certain though, the ps3,360 will be the same with more hard drive space and more subtle upgrades like how we used to upgrade our pc just to play the latest games in cool super graphics mode.

13. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

how was the wii out of the ordinary? motion sensing games had been around for years prior to the wii.

14. ultra

ultra Guest

when nintendo revealed the wii in 2006, did you expect nintendo to use a motion sensing device as their controller or your standard gamecube/ps2/ps3 controller?

when ps3/360 was announced, did you knew you'd be getting an upgraded ps2/xbox 1 and not something out of the ordinary?

i and everyone on this board could tell you what the next ps3/360 will be. it will be nothing more then upgraded parts [better graphics, more hard drive space, super pumped up quad cores, 2gb memory, 1080p, etc....] just like a pc to play the latest games with super crips ultra smooth graphics. but if you ask me or anyone on this board what nintendo may bring in next for their console, no one on this board could give you a definitive answer because they're going to bring something out of the ordinary.

15. madshredder

madshredder Member

For the love of God, Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft better support waaaaaaaay more resolutions in the next gen of consoles. I mean honestly many T.V's (like mine) are also computer monitors, they are T.V's though since they have HDMI and component and an antenna input so resolutions that are 16:10 like 1440x900 1680x1050 are a must... 1080p will still be the top I believe but I am sick of stretched pictures and blurry ones too... Please just make games like PC games where you select your resolution, is it that much harder to make a game more versatile? It's another selling point as well so PLEASE SUPPORT MORE! Oh ya and let's hope Nintendo decides to put a lot more into graphics to at least compete with Sony and Microsoft's next gen consoles, they already know how to include motion sensing so...let's have both this time round.

16. fallenleader

fallenleader Guest

games are about play, not pretty, but i agree a graphic boost is in need soon.

can't you just let it choose its resolution without making the tv stretch it? my tv goes normal "half screen/ black borders" for 480i tv and fills the screen when on 1080i

17. ultra

ultra Guest

when you play a computer game at the current standard resolution [1024x768 or 1152x864] and change it to the highest setting [1600x1200 or whatever it is], doesn't it alter the performance of the game? it won't work for consoles because consoles are limited as compared to a pc where if the graphics can't handle it you upgrade. there are no upgrades for consoles.

18. fallenleader

fallenleader Guest

higher resolution harder to display, more demand slower framerate.

i run 1050x1400 or whatever, at 32bit color.
    games normally have to run at 1024x768 to get a good frame on my pc, im working on making it better.

19. Born2killx

Born2killx Well-Known Member

1050 x 1400? Are monitors even shaped like that?

20. fallenleader

fallenleader Guest

1400x1050

its a nvidia grforce fx5500 pci 128mb
    on a westinghouse 20.1" LCD

it can and does run 1400x1050