1. This forum is in read-only mode.

The Floppy is dead, and about time.

Discussion in 'General News' started by damanali, Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. damanali

damanali Well-Known Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/zd/20100426/tc_zd/250362

Its really about time to kill this ancient device, why is sony still producing them until now? even my dad killed these things years ago, and he still doesn't have a hang with the usb up to now.

how much capacity does a diskette have that you would cling to it up to now? but got to be honest, my old university doesn't trust usb too, and they dont allow you to bring your outside diskette in the computer lab, you gotta buy one of theirs and well, its over-priced and its just to make a quick buck in their sides.

2. m64m

m64m Well-Known Member

same reason why they still made VHS tapes long after their lifetime; people still buy them. Guess Sony couldn't germ up sales enough for it to last anymore.

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

they're actually invaluable when repairing PCs. Not all computers can boot from USB, and windows 2000/XP/2003 can only load drivers from floppy disks during setup.

4. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Most pc's don't even have floppy drives...I remember using these for carrying roms around with me back in the days...

Some of my mates still keep these things...
    Prehaps that's why.

5. msg2009

msg2009 Romulations sexiest member

back in the 90's i didnt have internet so i used to go to my mates across the road, download tons of roms and get them home on floppies. had to use split it to get them to fit.
    cd writers were quite rare and expensive back then

6. NeoMagicwarrior

NeoMagicwarrior Active Member

ditto.
    It's almost a shame to see a digital format die. i kinda want to stock up on them before they rund out everywhere. you know that sometime in the future they will be handy....

7. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

I have an extra floppy drive sitting around and loads of floppy disks.

I still use them if I don't feel like using a flashdrive. And most computers that people have that I know, have floppy drives in them.

So I'll always find a use for them until The drives wear out. :(

Plus to setup Windows 98, you need a floppy boot-disc to start up the setup. ;)

8. Loonylion

yeah I have hundreds but they're mostly questionable, I'll probably buy a box while they're still available.

9. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Those of you dissing the good ol' Floppy disk are probably not too keen on the SNES ROM hacking community that much :p

You see, though the medium is outdated & is prone to easily be damaged, a lot of SNES ROM hackers & followers of the community (like me) rely on Floppy disks to play test ROM Hacks on actual SNES Hardware using one of these babies:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SUPER-UFO-SUPER-DRIVE-PRO-7-SNES-COPIER-MEGA-RARE-/260568380467

So yeah, I'm disappointed at the whole thing, thank you very much :p

And sure, I can play on an emulator, but nothing still beats playing on the actual thing.

10. stirgo1212

stirgo1212 Well-Known Member

Apple pretty much stopped the floppy drive market by not putting them on their later systems, making it less popular. Same thing for the firewire cable: not on an apple, not anywhere else. Lets hope this never happens to USB...

11. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Newer technologies will be invented that will eventually replace the USB most likely.

12. DECADE5

DECADE5 Well-Known Member

Yeah. Apple will invent the "iPort" and it will be only in iPods, iPhones and iPads.
    I keed, I keed, but hope it never (really) happens. USB to stay!

13. Loonylion

they already did, it's called firewire.

14. garychencool

garychencool Well-Known Member

FINALLY! But some PC's (old ones) still have those things...
    LOL!

15. DECADE5

DECADE5 Well-Known Member

Like every PC in my university.

16. stirgo1212

stirgo1212 Well-Known Member

I said that, no?

17. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

You said that they would invent something that would only work on a Mac.
    Loony was saying that they did and it's firewire.

He was just saying that they already invented the firewire which is a Mac "computer" exclusive.

18. Loonylion

firewire was invented by apple and was only available on apple computers for a long time. It's not exclusive now, but it was for a number of years.

19. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Ah!
    Forgot about my friend have a firewire adapter port on his PC. :p
    It's rather fast if I remember correctly.

20. Loonylion

400Mb/s. firewire 2 (1394b) is 800mb/s but isn't widespread despite having been out for a few years now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.