1. This forum is in read-only mode.

The Difference Between R4 and AceKart, M3 etc! Once and for all!

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by subzero90, May 29, 2010.

1. subzero90

subzero90 Member

Hi guys, well as you can tell, Im new to this stuff [I ordered my R4 today] and after hours and hours of reading, I find out that R4 firmware will never ever be upgraded because the R4 team is no more...

I have a DSLite and I ordered an R4 with 2GB card, yet now I am beginning to understand the OTHER firmwares people have such as AceKart M3 etc....

My question to you all is:

If the firmware is only some files that i need to download onto the microSD card, then doesnt this mean that I can choose any firmware I want?? For example, my R4 that is coming soon hopefully, can I download the CycloDS/M3 [sp?] files and put it onto the formatted card and thus have the CycloDS/m3 firmware??

IF it isnt possible, why not?? Arent all flashcarts made of microSD cards and adaptors?

Also people refer to 'Original R4' will my newly purchased R4 not be counted among that?

Also, whats the difference between Kernel and WoodR4?

Which would I need to download?

And the most hated question of all, Ive been reading the pokemon HG/SS threads and Ive donwloaded all the prepatched roms, just to confirm they will work on the R4 right?

Thank you in advance!

=]

2. blazza08

blazza08 Active Member

First off big mistake the R4 is outdated and almost all new GOOD games have anti piracy that stops them working on your extremely outdated flashcard and is not in production anymore so the R4 you purchased is a clone/fake. the reason the original R4 has stopped being made is because nintendo sued them under the copyright and piracy act. (please correct me if im wrong)

All flashcards have their own different circuit board they are all made to work with a certain set of files, iv tried many a time to try put various firmwares on my dstt and ak2i and all of them simply crash i think by using ysmenu you can make an R4 look like a dstt(not sure if its the other way around) and moonshell2 can make your card like an acekard but thats as far as you can go im not entirely sure why they dont work with other flash cards they just dont (try asking the flash card dev teams).

Answered in the first question

WoodR4 is for clones/fakes kernel is the official firmware for original R4

WoodR4

Yes they will if you have the prepached kierkeos version http://forum.romulation.net/index.php?topic=34997.0 (that one definetly works because i have it on my dstt and acekard)

Your welcome ={D

3. subzero90

subzero90 Member

Thank you so much!!! is there any way I can rep you? [noob to this board lol]

Also, I have sent an email to the site I ordered it from saying I want to cancel the order, here is where I got it from:

http://www.r4i.co.uk/

Would you point me out a flashcart that will run the latest games and is not a clone and would deliver best satisfaction??

Thank you so much for any help given, really nice to get such high quality help.

4. 6Toushiro9

6Toushiro9 Well-Known Member

Its actually fine to order an R4 as long as its not a clone because WOOD R4 make it the same compatibility rate as an Acekard R.P.G.
    Only if you have a NORMAL Ds not a dsi.

5. Sora1234

Sora1234 Well-Known Member

http://shoptemp.com/products/Acekard-2i-Card-for-Nintendo-DS-DS-Lite-DSi-p-30.html?ref=2006

You might want to go with a Acekard 2i. It has a nice firmware, called AKAIO, that runs most of the new games. It also is flashable, so it can be ran on a updated DSI.

Or...

http://shoptemp.com/products/Supercard-DSTWO-Card-for-Nintendo-DS-DS-Lite-DSi-p-97.html?ref=2006

A Supercard DS2, which can run GBA games. It's pretty new, and is constantly being updated.

It can play videos/movies without converting them.
    Plays GBA games.
    It has a built in SNES emulator.
    Real time cheat
    Real time save
    Real time guide
    Cheat search function.

If I had the money I get this ^.

6. xakota

xakota Well-Known Member

Actually you may want to just stick with your R4, lately WOOD R4 is getting more updates than AKAIO.

7. blazza08

blazza08 Active Member

However acekard have been more new game friendly take the new pokemon games for instance as soon as theycame out they didnt need a patch for the AK2I but it took about 3 weeks for the R4 to get a working patch it is like this with many games if you go to gamekool.com you can get a legit ak2i for around 15 pounds thats around 20 dollars in america

8. xakota

xakota Well-Known Member

that's not really a fair example because WOOD R4 wasn't around at the time, I'm sure if it was things would have been different.
    I have an AK2i and I still can't play Tetris, R4 users can :/

9. Sora1234

Sora1234 Well-Known Member

Well, considering both the Acekard 2i, and the original R4 have unofficial firmware made by the same people. I'd say it's a even comparison, because if "The Yellow Wood Goblin" leaves the R4 scene then the R4, becomes dead. If "Norrmatt" leaves the scene then the Acekard becomes partially dead, because it'll still have support from the Acekard team. Comparing current updates isn't a good reason to buy a R4, the Acekard 2i, will soon have a AKAIO 1.6 RC3 update. So overall it's all up to Subzero's choice.

Oh, and I made a thread to help with price comparison, and trustworthy sites to buy from.

http://forum.romulation.net/index.php?topic=41863.0

10. Fredbox

Fredbox Well-Known Member

I'm gonna try to answer your questions a bit better than blazza08 (no offense, I just thik you answered some stuff wrong).
    True, but there are alternative firmwares which are updated regularly.

They are the names of other flashcarts, not just other firmwares.

No, each card is completely different internally.

They aren't jsut simple adaptors to make the microSD fit into your DS. They have to trick your DS into thinking they're real DS cards. Each flashcart does this differently, so each flashcart needs it's own firmware.

That depends on what yours is called. It almost certainly won't be an original (because they stopped making original ones ages ago) but it might be an exact copy, which should be fine. It should say on the label of the cart, "R4 Revolution for DS (NDS/NDSL)". But if it's called "R4 SDHC", or "R4 III" or anything like that, it won't be exactly the same, and therefore will only run crappy firmware. Only the one called "R4 Revolution for DS (NDS/NDSL)" will be good.

Kernel is just another word for firmware. Wood R4 is a recent firmware for the R4 that only works on originals (or exact copies of them) and is really good! It basically makes the R4 compatible with all new games. I'll repeat, Wood R4 is not for clones (blazza08 got this wrong), it will only run on originals (or exact copies of them).

If your R4 can run it, then you definetly want to use Wood R4.

Yup, they'll work.

I hope I haven't confused you too much, sorry. I just wanted to make sure you knew how to tell which card you bought, and if it was a waste of money or not.

EDIT: I just saw your post saying you cancelled the order, sorry, my bad. As for a good card to get, Either the Acekard2i or Supercard DS Two as suggested above. If money is an issue, then buying an Original R4 isn't a bad option, as long as you know it's a good one, like this: http://shoptemp.com/products/R4-DS-Revolution-Card-for-Nintendo-DS-DS-Lite-p-29.html
    But if you can afford it, I'd suggest the Acekard2i. Right now, the Supercard DS Two might not be worth the price for some people (not all of it's cool features actually exist yet). But it's up to you.

11. subzero90

subzero90 Member

Thank you SO MUCH, seriously youve really helped me alot, you and everyone who posted, thank you once again and I guess im going to order and Acekard2i now, thanks all!!