1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Television quality has changed...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by doughboy, Feb 16, 2011.

?

Which DVD/TV type do you like best?

1. HD

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Bluray

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Regular (DVD like quality)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. VSH

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. doughboy

doughboy Guest

So there are to my knowledge three main formats:
    - HD (for television and movies)
    - Bluray
    - Regular (DVD like quality television)

What do you like?
    Don't just jump out and say, "hey hd is newer with much better quality so..."

I really like how the HD quality has better picture and better sound, but the camera angles which may be filtered through another camera [or uncompressed] make the videos as a whole look strange :/
    Regular DVD's seem unfiltered, good looking quality prints.
    I personally own a Bluray player, but all of my Bluray movies are Anime, so I see somewhat a difference from the regular DVD's.
    I have seen the process of making high quality Bluray prints, and it seems that the glue applied to make the Bluray movies has nothing to do with the camera angles, only the video quality, which I like.

2. Stanley Richards

Stanley Richards Well-Known Member

I don't give a shit. If I can see what the hell is going on, I need not care for the type it is.

3. doughboy

doughboy Guest

me either, only some of my Anime DVD's are Bluray (I just wanted to test out ma' Bluray payer)
    I do though find the HD camera angles a bit annoying :/

4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

bluray is HD.

what you refer to as 'regular' is known as SD (standard definition).

5. doughboy

doughboy Guest

Ohh, i know that, but to me it seems that the camera angles seem a bit different when watching HDDVD videos...
    Blray's camera angles seem to stay the same, only the picture and audio are upped.
    Also, Bluray seems to look a little bit Blue-r xD

6. lewis9191

lewis9191 Well-Known Member

you make no sense. You know bluray is called blue ray due to the blue lazer used.

7. doughboy

doughboy Guest

I know about the laser & glue being applied to the bluray dvd's...
    I meant that Bluray and HDDVD are in some way different due to the camera angles (unfiltered I believe) being used...
    Have you ever seen HDDVD and compared it to a regular DVD?
    Trust me, everything is everywhere :/

8. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

If I can watch it, then it doesn't matter to me.

I use DVDs to pirate shit, so I just copy DVDs to DVDs. >.>
    Anyways. I guess I like DVDs?

9. doughboy

doughboy Guest

Same here, never copied HD (or Bluray) but, I bet it's a really long process...(use DVDFab)

Yeah, all I'm saying is that watching HD-DVD's is like watching movies on a roller-coaster, and it is not Disney standards xD

10. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

There are 2 kinds of tvs.

HD for high Def, and the older SD for standard depth, mostly picture size and quality, as well as function are the main differences, and prehaps 3-D will become standard for the HD tvs.

Blue ray is the HD format for home entertainment, before that was typical DVD's, and before that was VHS (video tapes) and betamax...

What do I like best you ask?

The tv doesnt matter because I grew up with tiny little tv's, and infact the smaller tv's are better for your eyes when playing video games or watching them all night :p

For the home entertainment format, BLUE RAY!

WHAT ELSE!? (I can copy blue ray if I wanted to but why bother)

11. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

Dude, what the HELL are you talking about? Is anything in there that you said relevant?

To answer your question:
    Some of the stuff I get is 480p but I'll live. It's better than downloading a file 4-12x the size for a little bit better quality.

I've been spoiled with HD and haven't wanted to go back since. Ever since Blu-ray came out, regular TV just hasn't been the same.

For me, anything with an HDTV tag or ripped/encoded from an HD source is acceptable.
    It's either download 6 seasons with an HDTV tag amounting to 45 GB or get 720p rips and have it amount past 250 GB. Not worth downloading that great of quality if I'm most likely only going to watch each episode once.

For movies though, 720p is good enough. 1080p if I had a TV larger than 50".

12. theunderling

theunderling Well-Known Member

Tuco never posts anything relevant LOL.

13. darkrequiem

darkrequiem Well-Known Member

Almost no one does.

And to answer the question., I don't care much about the resolution or format, as long as I can see clearly what I'm watching.
    And it can't be grainy or 'blocky' at all.

14. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Well, DVDs, HDDVDs, Blurays, etc. are all just storage media. They could all have HD movies stored on them, and with the proper equipment, they would all display an HD movie.

The DVD version of a movie in 16:9 played on your 1080p HD TV and the Bluray version of a movie in 16:9 played on your 1080p HD TV wouldn't be any different.

So the proper poll would boil down to do you like SD or HD...
    480p/i
    720p (I don't think a standard exists for 720 interlaced)
    1080p/i

Benefits of each depend on how big your viewing screen is. With a 30 inch or smaller TV, you won't notice a huge difference between 1080 and 720, the screens are just too small (lots of TVs this small don't even have 1080 options). Once you start getting up to the 50 inch screens, you will begin to notice the pixels of the lower resolution images. The difference between 480 and 720/1080 are noticeable mainly because 480 is not a widescreen aspect ratio, you will either have black bars on the sides of your screen or the image will be stretched to fill the screen. Your bigger TVs will look worse when playing back lower resolution images.

15. Inunah

Inunah Well-Known Member

I don't have access to HDTV (We don't know how to set this shit up) or Bluray. Just give me the regular shit and I'll figure it out myself. I don't care though. If I had access to HDTV or Bluray, I'd just pick up any DVD and get that, same as always. Except with less "Bluray, Bluray, Bluray, ah hah! Regular DVD."

16. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Lower def stuff is also cheaper than blue ray unless you want the special features that come on blue ray now adays...

17. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

lol @ mexican, god, you don't even know what you're talking about.

I'm spoiled by HD, when I moved in with Pat back in the day, we had a measly 27" Tube TV, where 360 games would be blurry and you couldn't read the small font in some games. We then saved and bought a 40" Plasma and the difference is astounding.

That being said, imo 480i and up look better on an HD set, anything below looks like shit. Old school consoles before the N64/PSX look better on an SDTV.

18. doughboy

doughboy Guest

Yeah, i kinda messed up at the beginning :/
    What i meant to ask was - what DVD type do you like best?
    There are 3 different kinds; regulardvd's (sd), hddvd's which is also a competitor for bluraydvd's...
    I wanted to ask you if you guys liked HD-quality DVD's compared to the normal ones as well...
    For me HD is a thumbs down because of the random camera movements throughout films...
    (if you have actually seen HD movies being played at your local electronics shop, you'll notice how the camera moves very differently)

lol, the sellers/advertisements say that:
    "hd makes you feel like your there, you feel like you can reach out and touch johnny depth" :I

19. tehuber1337

tehuber1337 Well-Known Member

Uh, just FYI, the medium does not define the content. You can put the same movie on a BD, DVD and VHS and each one will have the same camera angles. It has nothing to do with "high definition" or anything like that, it's just the preferences of modern directors.

20. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

The only difference between a DVD, HD-DVD, and BluRay is that they offer different resolution. The movie itself is exactly the same. Watch a Bluray and the same edition of that movie on DVD, it's exactly the same minus the difference in picture quality. My husband and I have some movies that we own both on DVD and BluRay, they do not have any concernable difference film content or camera angles. Either you don't understand what you're saying or you're making shit up because it's your own interpretation of what's happening.

Two things that I THINK you might mean, either you're looking at it strange. Or you don't understand 60Hz TVs versus 120Hz TVs (hinthint 120Hz sets have a lot more fluidity to the picture, it sort of feels like looking into a window of sorts).

Also, some older movies that go to BluRay (like 80s films) are sometimes funny, because the extra detail sometimes makes the stunts and special effects incredibly fake in comparison to the regular less defined DVD version. But again, this is no difference in the movie itself, just the picture quality.

Also, lol@johnny depth.