1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Team

Discussion in 'Game Help' started by kalvinator09, Mar 17, 2010.

1. kalvinator09

kalvinator09 Member

If I start with Totadile, what other 2 pokemons should I train for my team?

2. X_kiba_X

X_kiba_X New Member

well u should try and cover your weakness, mainly fire, catch a bellsprout and trade for an onix in violet city....it'll grow pretty fast and well i normally choose a flying type either pidgey or hoothoot (mainly hoothoot cuz Noctowl ownz lol)

3. cuccio123

cuccio123 Well-Known Member

Do what I do.
    Solo the game.
    Beat it.
    Then go IV/EV train a real team later.

4. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

He's simply asking what goes good with Totodile just to get through the game.
    A "real team" is hard to get at the beginning unless you sit there and trade over your team from another game, which ruins the fun...

Anyway, you'll have to pick up a fire type, either Vulpix or Growlithe depending on your version. A grass type is necessary if you want to have almost near-perfect coverage and always have something able to use CUT with.

You'll need a flyer and depending on what you make your Totodile, either physical or special based, you'll have to pick up another water type to either have Waterfall or Surf (and Whirlpool). For Totodile, I usually give it Waterfall since it is more suited to physical attacks, and leave my HM-based Wooper to pick up Surf and Whirlpool (as well as Rock Smash and whatever else). Wooper can be found west of Violet City at night ONLY.

I'd also pick up a Mareep, and at level 10, it learns Thundershock, which is really helpful in the first gym. Once it learns Discharge, it's a nice pokemon to keep around.

For a grass type, there's plenty of Bellsprout and Oddish around so finding one won't be too much of a hassle. A second water is easy to find as long as you can fish. You also get the Red Gyarados. As for fire types, you're really only limited to Growlithe and Vulpix until you get at least 8 gym badges...

5. Spifflez

Spifflez Member

This. I find it hard to train more than one pokemon at a time. I beat the entire game with my starter pokemon, by the time i finish soloing the elite four its like level 80. I use the other pokemon for hm's. After beating Elite Four, I build up a team for frontier, multi friend battles, etc.

Its amazing how easy it is to go through the pokemon games using only just your starter. I've been doing it since red/blue.

Personal preference I guess.

6. insanecrazy07

I find it difficult to train 6 pokemon at once. I usually keep it to 3, having them level 60 by the end of the E4 instead of 6 pokemon at roughly level 35-40 at the end.

It's easier because with a limited amount of EXP (unless you sit there and grind wild pokemon, bleh), you can distribute the majority of it to one pokemon, outlevel your opponent and overpower them simply by being 20-30 levels higher.

The problem I find is that you can't always get perfect coverage with your starter. You'd have to have a Ghost/Fighting combination to truly get the perfect coverage to at least neutral. The starters usually get walled by their own types or their weaknesses, and if your only decently trained pokemon faints, you're screwed...

7. Spifflez

Spifflez Member

What generally happens to me is, I do great to some extent with just my starter. Every now and than I'll end up in a bit of a toughie, but win it out. When it comes to the E4, its usually the last battle, or the champion that would usually get me. When my started would faint, I'd be forced to switch to one of my level 20's or lower. I'd use a revive, or max revive like this, then finish it out and do this repeatedly, i'd fully recover all pokemon before the last two battles just for this strategy.

It gets really annoying like this though when your opponent as the champion spams full restores. Though I usually manage!

8. kalvinator09

kalvinator09 Member

Ok so this is what I'm thinking. Totadile, obviously. Mareep or Miltank, and Slowking. and for Fire type I can trade over Quilava from diamond. Is that good enough?

9. MR4Y

MR4Y Well-Known Member

I'm using Totodile(now Croconaw), Schyter and Zubat(now Crobat).

10. zerobahamut

zerobahamut Well-Known Member

Mareep is worth the training. Later on as a Ampharos it leans Power Gem (Rock) and Signal Beam (Bug) which could make up for its electric moves.

11. MR4Y

MR4Y Well-Known Member

Until someone uses Earthquake, Earth Power or Dig.

12. insanecrazy07

LOL, like I've ever seen any of those used by the CPU outside of the Battle Tower.
    And you have to be an idiot to send Ampharos up against a Ground, or even Rock type. They're meant for sweeping water, and flying types, and if you get it to learn Fire Punch, it can hold its own against Grass, and my favorite, Steel (damn Magnemites!).

Ampharos has a higher base SpA, than Atk, so using Thunderbolt and Signal Beam is a good choice, but Fire Punch is good enough against the stupid CPU even with a lower Atk base. If we're talking UU/NU (whatever tier this one is in) competition here, use one of the smogon sets. Power Gem is interesting, but Fire Punch is more valuable since Rock trumps Flying, which Electric already does, and Fire allows you to take on Steel, which would otherwise screw you badly. Signal Beam is great against grass, but my point was to take on Steels and Fire Punch does exactly that. I usually run Thunderbolt, Signal Beam and Fire Punch (4th is essentially filler). It's nice, even without running a Mixed EV spread.

Being your sole freaking electric early in the game, leveling it to 30 is priority 1 while you're wreaking havoc against all of the sailors in the lighthouse.