1. This forum is in read-only mode.

tax on the virtual world....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ultra, Jun 26, 2007.

1. ultra

ultra Guest

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/32637/118/

pretty crazy idea. there was also the idea of taxing [making people pay] when they send an email.

they are becoming quite desperate for money.

2. Reider

Reider Modereider

Hardly surprising, they're looking to put taxes on everything nowadays.

3. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

It won't get approved, if it does then we also need to tax when you borrow a lawn mower from your neighbour, or if you switch the two bags of candy at a cinema. Those have equal, if not more, value than virtual items. I really don't see it happening without causing an uproar.

4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

M$ are the ones pushing for per-email charges. As if they don't have enough money already :(

5. Adnan1992

Adnan1992 Well-Known Member

They'll probably add a tax to have sex :-X :'(

6. Loonylion

seph will be bankrupt in no time if they do :p

prostitutes' fees + tax :p

7. Adnan1992

Adnan1992 Well-Known Member

he he. Does Loonlion always remark on Seph like this?? :)

8. Loonylion

yes, seph's girlfriend is a paradox and an inside joke

9. MusicAddict911

MusicAddict911 Well-Known Member

Don't they want to tax virtual items like Second Life and World of Warcraft currency or something too?

10. Loonylion

tax on wow currency would do them no good, wow currency has no real world value. SL linden dollars have a real world value, so they might be trying to tax that.

11. MusicAddict911

Actually more and more people are purchasing WoW currency for real money so it might be worth something.;)

12. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Yeah but that's against game policy, Blizzard doesn't know about it.
    You can't tax illegally bought money the same way that you can't tax drugs sold. :)

13. IceFiend

IceFiend Active Member

Not really. Try reporting it to a mod. They don't care, as a matter of fact I'm pretty sure that's unofficially sanctioned, seeing as how anyone willing to drop $50 on a pretend sword, is going to be paying those anual suscrition fees for a decade.

14. Loonylion

you have a point, but seeing as its against the policy they will have to enforce it at some point or they will lose customers

15. :mad: Lol im quiting dragon fable and WoW if that happens :'(

16. IceFiend

IceFiend Active Member

Maybe if they ran it like Dota. Every year all of the accounts on Dota are cleared. And everyone starts off level. WoW doesn't do that. So the only way to make up for a three year head start is to buy your way into it.

And seeing as how they don't even do anything about PKing I doubt they'll start enforcing inventory rules which is a lot more minor.
    And abusing inventory doesn't drive off new players. Getting killed by an established player over and over for a day drives more than a few people away from WoW.

17. MusicAddict911

Blizzard knows about it. They track what IP addresses log on to your account (from what location) when you get power leveling done and if they see 10:15AM New York and then 10:19AM China, they know there's a problem. As for buying and selling currency, of course they are aware that there are loads of sites out there that do it.

[quote author=IceFiend]
    Not really. Try reporting it to a mod. They don't care, as a matter of fact I'm pretty sure that's unofficially sanctioned, seeing as how anyone willing to drop $50 on a pretend sword, is going to be paying those anual suscrition fees for a decade.[/quote]Yeah, my friend spent about $250 in total on buying gold and several other items and he's gonna pay another $100 or so to get his character leveled.

18. Loonylion

No they don't; with IPV4 (the addressing system currently used on the net) it is near impossible to accurately locate an IP address; even at country level.

19. Relys

Relys Well-Known Member

Well, fuck this! How would they keep track of every email sent?

20. MusicAddict911

You aren't serious. I've spent enough time on the WoW forums to know their practices. Go to www.dnsstuff.com and it will tell you what country you're from, it gets me right down to the town, and I live in a small town.