1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Talent / Skill

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dancubs, Mar 18, 2010.

1. dancubs

dancubs Well-Known Member

What's the difference?

2. Reider

Reider Modereider

One you're born with and the other you usually get through experience.

Talent and Skill respectively.

3. zerobahamut

zerobahamut Well-Known Member

Skill is like your pro at that while talent is something your good? Actually I'm not really sure about the difference.

4. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Pretty much.

Talent - Piano Master at the age of 7.

Skill - Barrel Maker/Black Smith

5. dancubs

Which is better? And what of singing? It's both a talent and a skill.

6. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

talent and skill are not mutually exclusive. You can aquire skills, you cannot aquire a talent; you either have it or you dont.

7. snebbers

snebbers Well-Known Member

I don't class being a complete douche as a talent though >_>.
    Technically that doesn't work ::)

EDIT: No Loony that isn't directed at you.

8. dancubs

How about hidden talent?

Let's say, I've gone through my childhood not even touching anything musically related, and on my 16th birthday, my folks get me a guitar. So I practice and practice and what not, voila, on my 18th birthday I'm playing shows at our local bar. Is that a talent? Or was it a skill? Did I learn it or did I unlock what was hidden all along?

9. snebbers

But you stated that you practiced for 2 years, that means you learnt to play. Meaning it's a skill.. Some people learn things faster than other people. Theoretically everyone can learn anything, it's a case of their Emotional Intelligence and their IQ. 80% and 20% respectively.

10. Buppazugan

Buppazugan Well-Known Member

I have a talent of being able to annoy people.

11. dancubs

So you're saying there's no such thing as a hidden talent?

12. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

no, hes saying the example given is an aquired skill not a talent. If the person in the example was doing shows within weeks of getting the guitar, thats probably talent.

13. Mein

Mein Well-Known Member

Anybody can gets any skill, but nobody can gets any talent.
    I mean, skills come from hard works and practice, we acquire it. But a talent are basically a gift to us since we were born.

14. dancubs

So that's the prerequisite for it to be a skill? It has to take time? And only if it comes out within a short amount of time of engagement will it be considered a talent?

15. Spifflez

Spifflez Member

Interesting. Whilst I agree that talent is quick and ready, meanwhile skill is something you worked hard to learn.

This particular post, snebber, made me question something.

Say it takes one guy 3 months to do what someone took 2 years to learn. You would say the 3month person is 'more talented' than the other. But, how is it they would be 'more talented' than someone who isn't 'talented' at all, but instead are 'skilled'. What I've said here is simply the way you use certain words, but it still makes me think.

Think about it, if both your parents are 'skilled' at something in particular, it's likely you'd have talent in the same field. And in the end, you would, if said talent is there, have more potential then your parents. In a sense, we couldn't have one without the other.

16. Mein

Mein Well-Known Member

Skill and talent doesn't go through blood and DNA.
    The reason why we usually may have better in our parent's talent(or skill) is because we often see them do that talent.
    That means, i can say that's a skill, that acquired unintended.

17. snebbers

More talented is a description, in saying that we're not saying the person is talented, but the rate of learning is extremely fast. So what mein said it true, but it is interesting to think about.

18. dancubs

Which is better? Being skilled at something, or being talented at the same thing?

19. Mein

Mein Well-Known Member

A skill may needed to be polished to stay sharp.
    But the limit of a skill is far higher than talent.
    So i would say, skills.

20. nemesis11

nemesis11 Well-Known Member

Roger federer = talent & skills