1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Tablet Free Games Questions -Help!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cowcat06, Jan 19, 2014.

1. cowcat06

cowcat06 Well-Known Member

I just got the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 tablet but have a few questions:
    These free games can't bill me for hidden fees if I don't have payment information on file? Or will they show up on the internet bill?
    How do you know which games are safe to play & don't have any hidden charges?
    By downloading/playing these games will they make your internet bill go up?
    What does may require subsequent data transfer charges mean? I caught that under the Angry Birds games. I have 6 Angry Birds games on my device.
    Is it necessary to turn off in app purchases when I don't have any payment information on file? & If I need to do that anyway where do I find it?
    A couple days ago I put the app cm security on my device. Is that a trusted security protection to use?
    & I noticed I have random messages under my files folder. How do I stop random messages from appearing like from someone I don't know.
    Thanks!!!

2. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

This must be your first ever android phone. Anyway; Your internet/data plan bill blowing up or not depends on what sort of internet/data plan you are using. If you are on unlimited monthly data plan, those things you are asking isn't relevant as you won't need to worry about it. If you are on a limited monthly quota it will be deducted from that quota and once quote used up either you won't be able to go online or get charged more for the excess data plan used, or if on a charged per kb per upload/download data plan, then of cause it will add up to your overall bill.

Again downloading of apps/file, depends on if it's stated free or must pay as per shown on Google Play Store or Samsung App Store. If it's free, the file to download will be of a certain kb/size, again whether you'll be paying for the cost of downloading it depends on what I'd mentioned in 1st paragraph.

If you decide to download a must pay/buy apps, of cause there will be a cost to it, the bill will either be added to your data plan provider's monthly bill, deducted to your pre-paid data plan credit, or you may decide to pay using credit card/pay pal or whatever acceptable method of payment determined by the store and chosen by you. If you are on unlimited data plan, the same will happen, it will be added into your end of month bill. The amount would be as determined as per shown when choosing to buy that app, naturally there won't be any tax added, but it will depend on your country's policy regarding taxable downloaded items. The cost of buying the app does not include the cost of downloading the file itself. Again, the cost of downloading the app is as stated on 1st paragraph.

There's no need to turn off anything as the info collected won't have much interference with you using the app. Android apps are mostly safe to use, I don't see why you should be worry about it. Also not having any setup-ed payment option doesn't then makes you need to shut down/decline the option to allow the apps to collect such info. Naturally, there's nothing needed to be worried about by letting it be.

As for charges in the event you use online app games, again it depends on your kind of data plan as mentioned in 1st paragraph. Online games, will of cause shows various realtime info when you run it. If there's no option/setting to hide/deactivate it, then there's nothing you can do about it. You may decide through the android's settings to shut down certain information transfer.

Free games can be categorized into;
    1. totally free without advertisements in it
    2. totally free but contains many advertisements in it
    3. some features are free but with some features in it locked unless you pay/donate
    4. totally free for a limited time before it starts showing advertisements or ask you to pay or locked until you pay/buy/donate
    Naturally you'd want to use apps in category 1, 2 or 3, and avoid 4.

Playing online android games, will or will not add up to the data plan expense depends on 1st paragraph.

The only thing you need worry if you are already on unlimited data plan is the phone's memory size. The more apps you installed will use up the storage space and could slow down the device which at some point could cause it to hang often. If you are on quota base or pay per kb data plan, think about your internet bill.

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

there's also games that are free, but you can buy in game items etc with real money.

4. cowcat06

Yes your right this is my first tablet I just got a week ago. It has no phone. Just wifi. I am not sure if this kind of thing is for me. I am much more used to Nintendo playing real game carts. I wish I got the 3DS XL instead. That's what I wanted more. So does the data usage show up on the internet bill? I don't want my dad surprised with a huge internet bill! I have no payment information on file for Google. & Then what do you do once you use up all your data usage-you can't use the tablet anymore? Like for instance the Google Play usage bar is full. & I am wondering will Costco allow me to take back a used tablet & if I tell them it wasn't for me they will give me a full refund? I have the box & everything that was in it.

5. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

If it's WIFI version, then of cause it goes through your dad's wireless network connection. Question is your dad's internet subscription on unlimited data plan or is it quota base? If it's unlimited base, then as long as you don't choose to buy any apps from GOOGLE PLAY STORE or SAMSUNG APP STORE that requires paying/buying or even buy/pay for the extra features, there's pretty much nothing to worry about. If your dad's internet subscription includes a report regarding data usage, of cause it will show. However if it's on unlimited data plan, doesn't matter how much data was use, the monthly bill will be flat at 1 single price.

Like mine for example, it's on unlimited data plan subscription. Whether I use the internet or not, and even if I do use it and kept in online for weeks non-stop, I'll only be paying a flat rate. It won't blow up, unless I choose to buy online stuff like android apps that will be added into my monthly bill. As long as I don't, the internet bill will be just that.

Ask your dad what his internet data plan is like. If it's quota base, then you better ask his permission if you want to download large files, and avoid using it to play online games, unless of cause your dad is ok with it. The thing you need to think about when downloading apps from the online store is knowing how much memory is left in the device. You would want to make sure there's enough memory for the device to function properly.

Why did you buy a device you have no use for except to play games? If you don't want it, send it to me (FOR FREE :p), I'll gladly keep it. ;D I don't buy anything from that place you got it from, so can't say anything. Alternatively just give it to your dad and ask him to buy something else for you. Or trade it in as 2nd hand to the store for something else. Don't expect full refund on something that isn't faulty, a device that doesn't suit the buyer's intention isn't something covered by money back guarantee clause.

6. cowcat06

Ok got it. My dad examined the bill online & said nothing has showed up. & One more question. What do I do when the data usage bars fill up on my device? Like for instance if an Angry Birds game data usage bar is full then what happens? I can't play it anymore or will the bar for that game automatically reset back to free space again? Only 1 bar is full so far the Google Play Store. But it still works & I'm still using it. Thanks so much I really appreciate your help!

7. Fylgja

Fylgja High level Neet

data usage is to show what applications are using internet and how much, its mainly used to stop going over the monthly quota on mobile plans

8. 8bitstory

8bitstory Member

try emulation. as usual it's free. I like Drastic, the fastest DS emulator for android.

9. cowcat06

Also I would like to use the app on my tablet Glary Utilities. Is that completely free or do they end up charging you money after using it for awhile? Its a free download but I'm wondering if there are any hidden costs in that app. Thanks again!

10. 2DamCerius

2DamCerius My eyes for your brain...fair trade.

As far as I can tell for any game app I use, I download it and then once I install it I check to see if I can use them without any purchases to third party members or its features. Either way the app generally has in app purchases but I don't even bother with those as long as I can use it on my own terms.