1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Swollen Fingers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by anandjones, May 31, 2008.

1. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

I have extremely red, itchy swollen fingers, my index, middle, ring and pinkie fingers on my right hand are the only ones that are swollen. They are big, fat and plump. They're not purple or anything. I've had swollen fingers and toes at least once per year. I can barely rip open a cereal bag without it hurting my fingers. It feels like there's a lot of blood in my fingers, but I heard it can be an early sign of arthritis; I do crack my knuckles. What's going on? Any ways to reduce it?

2. Solus

Solus Well-Known Member

Sounds odd and serious....well I can only think of one thing. Soak your fingers in warm water maybe? Warm water helps blood circulation.Though I think you should see a doctor.

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

a copper or magnetic bracelet might help. Copper bracelets help arthritis, whereas magnetic bracelets are proven to be generally beneficial as well as helping arthritis. What you need to do is go to a large pharmacy, and buy some magnetic plasters (band-aids to use the american word), also called magnotherapy patches. These are just small round plasters that instead of having a patch of gauze in the center, have a powerful ceramic magnet. eg [​IMG] Try wearing them on the inside of your wrist for a few weeks (you only need one at a time) and see if that helps. If it does, upgrade to a bracelet such as a bioflow: http://www.simplymagnetic.com/index1.html?target=d2_bioflow_magnetic_wristbands.html

4. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

I don't thing it's Arthritis, probably an allergy or something like that, as you mentioned some itching, plus according to your profile, you're 14 so how could you get arthritis at a young age?

5. clyffe28

clyffe28 Well-Known Member

you should have consulted a doctor first

6. Loonylion

You can get arthritis at any age, I had a friend at school who suffered from Motor Neurone Disease, and she had arthritis as well. When she was about 17, one of the school senior managers bought her a magnetic bracelet, (the senior manager also had arthritis and had recently bought a bracelet and found it helpful). Suffice to say, EVERYONE noticed the improvement in this teenage girl's condition shortly after she got it. Then again, my great aunt tried one and just didn't get anywhere with it, so it depends on the person.

7. CloudBoii12

CloudBoii12 Well-Known Member

Yea, consult a doctor

OMG its so funny
    one time when i was 10
    i was trying to fix my computer: it had a virus; 12 hours non stop
    it was so funny, my fingers were like purple and fat after that
    not completely on topic, but i thought you'd ought to know (Harry Potter 1 the movie lol.... you dont get it :p its proffessor quirrel lol)

8. clyffe28

clyffe28 Well-Known Member

but it rarely happens to children compared to adults

9. err

err Well-Known Member

Well, we can't take any chances on Anand, right? But go see a doctor just in case.

10. anandjones

I am 14, I'm not allergic to anything whatsoever, and I crack my knuckles and toes, shoulders, back and I've been doing it for years. As I said, I heard that its an early sign of arthritis and I'm going to see a doctor tomorrow. Will post back once I hear what Dr.Gavin has to say. (Gavin is my family doctor).

Oh, and Loony, I'll ask about the magnetic bracelet things.

11. Cahos Rahne Veloza

I'm already on my way to leave the Calendar, but I do crack my fingers & my neck as well but I've never had those problems of yours, hope you get over them though.

12. Cahos Rahne Veloza

So no wonder Winter's such a health guru?

Man I can see it now, Winter all buffed & tan, kewl!

Are you a beach dude or a pool dude?

13. anandjones

Well, I went to the doctor today, Dr.Gavin said that the cause of the swollen fingers is calcium buildup, and he said if it's left untreated it can turn into arthritis. He said for me to take joint pills, and he said to massage my fingers with my other fingers. I asked him about the magnetic bracelet things, and he said that they're not good for someone my age ???

14. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

That's waht happens if you don't crack your figners every once in a while, the CO2 buildup grabs some calcium if they are left there, and when you crack, them, the poping noise is the Co2 being released from your fingers, basically it's just tension :p

15. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

so basically you are saying that cracking bone is good for you?

16. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

It'll make your fingers develop a square like appearance, but it'll significantly lower your chances of arthritis

17. Cahos Rahne Veloza

As long as cracking your fingers, wrists, neck & toes doesn't give you pain, then it's ok, actually I find the act extremely manly *CRACKLE* *POP* OOH! I just dislocated my shoulder ooh! ;D

18. calvin_0

good....i crack my body on daily basis, knuckle, hand, shoulder, spine, neck and sometime my chest (it have some crack sound when i press my hand agaist my chest o_O...thats normal right?)

19. Loonylion

its a double edged sword, cracking your joints can also cause arthritis in the first place as the relatively large amount of heat generated inside the joint (friction from the bones rubbing inside the joint) when you crack your joints evaporates the lubricant in the joint, and it never gets replaced. Once it is all gone, you have arthritis.

20. calvin_0

so basically i'll get it either way.....