1. This forum is in read-only mode.

SWKOTOR II crashes before it starts

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Duncan Idaho, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Duncan Idaho

Duncan Idaho Well-Known Member

a friend of mine gave me his backups of SWKOTOR 1 and 2, both the CD and DVD versions, with cracks 'n stuff, my issue is that i am trying to run the second game, but it refuses to starts, i read that the CD version crack is incompatible with any intel GPU (god knows why) so i installed today the Collection edition, it installed fine and all, i replaced the .dll file, inserted the .bak files, put it run as admin for compatibility mode XP SP 2, i double click and "windows has ran onto an uknown problem and it closed the program".

Two things:

1) I AM NOT ASKING FOR WAREZ, i am asking how to fix this game since i am liking KOTOR 1 and i would like to try KOTOR 2.

2) DO NOT TELL ME TO BUY THEM FROM STEAM, i cant get 10$ i do not have a credit card and even if i had one i need to go trough a bureucratic process that can take from a couple of days to 10-11 months to get 400$ yearly dollars that i need to pay upfront, so no, i cannot buy them from steam.

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

are you sure the game can run on intel gpus? beyond that, 'unknown error' really isn't a whole lot to go on.

3. Duncan Idaho

According to http://forums.anandtech.com/archive/index.php/t-2274750.html some one said that the collection edition could run on intel GPU's after being cracked, the CD version if it's not cracked can run, but if you crack it then for some odd reason it refuses to run on an intel GPU, it only allows you to go so far after customizing your character.

4. Loonylion

I don't see what a crack has to do with whether or not a game will run on specific hardware.

5. Duncan Idaho

For some reason, the guys who made the crack for the CD versions of the game chose to not make it compatible with intel GPU's it runs on nvidia or ATI radeon cards, that much the mods of lucas arts said on different topics, however several people on the link i posted did pointed out that the game works on intel gpu's if it's the collection edition after being patched and then cracked, but the game still wont work on my desktop PC.

i need to try one last fix, if it does not works, then the game cannot run on intel GPU, i need to change the 3D policy of my card, from "flip" to "blip"

6. Loonylion

That's not a choice they make, the crack has absolutely nothing to do with it. either it works or it doesn't, and that choice is made by the game developers when they write the game.

7. Duncan Idaho

read here http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=206235

Post Merge: [time]1364853349[/time]
    @Loonylion do you have any idea how cna i change the policy of the 3D stuff?

[​IMG]

Given what i read i think i have three options, uninstall the game, and re install it and not apply any fixes, since it seems it's already fixed (collection edition, and i think by applying the fixes i broke the game) and switch the diver policy and try it with the un fixed versions, if that still wont work i apply the fixes