1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Suggestions on brand of DVD R

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MadmanNero, May 13, 2009.

1. MadmanNero

MadmanNero Well-Known Member

I'm pissed and I mean pissed. I bought a 50pack spindle of Memorex DVD+R about a month ago and I just recently started using them and I used maybe 1/2 of them and maybe 5 came out good. I don't know what the hell I am doing wrong I have an old external HD 30gig that I need to clear off so I can add more things to it and I would rather back the stuff up on DVDs to save on space, but as I stated I tried and tried and its was a hit and miss I would get a bad burn error or it would burn and when I try to test it out it would not work, then without changing anything I burn it again and it comes out good. so I am assuming its just a bad batch of discs.

Now with CD-Rs I have no problem at all Ive used all kinds of brands and they all seem to do a good job its just the DVDs I'm having problems with, and I have diffrent types of burning software and I've also tried each of them in various combinations and its still "hit or miss"

So I am asking all the eggheads here what would you suggest as a brand of DVDs I can try so I won't end up loosing my cool and dropkicking this PC.

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

memorex should be good, but try TDK/Verbatim. I have a feeling its your burner though.

3. MadmanNero

I had thoughts of that too, but hell the computer maybe a year old if that and unless it was faulty when we bought it. but I recall on my old one I had to configure some things to get it to even read DVDs, this one I have no clue if thats the problem or not, but back to what I was actually getting at..this is another reason I was asking on a suggestion of another good brand so if I have problems still I will know if its the media or the burner itself.

4. Luk7nk4

Luk7nk4 Well-Known Member

You could try Verbatim one's and i have a good experience with BASF/EMTEC brand DVD's. BenQ is a good brand aswell.

5. Sacker

Sacker Well-Known Member

Taiyo Yuden
    Ritek Ridata
    Verbatim - Taiwan - if its made somewhere else dont bother
    Memorex - Sigapore/Taiwan - if its made somewhere else dont bother

6. MadmanNero

Done some research on my burner read in a few places my drive is picky on media and one that was mentioned other than Verbatim (which I cannot find yet) was Sony so a guy gave me a 30 pack to try out guess I will try that later on.

@Slacker you mention Taiyo Yuden and Ritek Ridata I have never heard of those I assume I might be able to locate them in a electronics store?

7. Loonylion

They dont sell media, they're OEM manufacturers

8. MadmanNero

Well that answers why I never heard of them before...done a google too so I am "up to date" now. ;D

9. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

I thought RiData only did CD-Rs, we have those here, the CD-Rs that is.

As for myself, I either use Verbatim or Sony DVD-Rs.

10. MadmanNero

Well I actually got a good burn on my first attempt using Sony DVD+R, but being the first one I'm not going to claim that everything is OK until after a few more burns.

11. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

I usually use Verbatim, TDK, and Sony.

12. meganova

meganova Well-Known Member

LG also good,but not for a long-term uses...now i'm using SONY and Verbatim..is there Panasonic??

13. grimsim1

grimsim1 Well-Known Member

Verbatim are the way to go. Never had a problem. But it is your drive. It is faulty. Trust me. Had the same problem with an LG brand new. Memorex would never ever work, but all my Verbatim DVD-R's would work (well most of them at least). Took it back to the store, they replaced it. Now everything is peachy.

14. meganova

meganova Well-Known Member

Then,which is more pricey??

15. ultra

ultra Guest

what's the difference between the + and - again? i still don't know and don't understand it. even the sales person don't know.

16. Loonylion

one is more compatible with standalone DVD players than the other.

17. MadmanNero

Don't know if its true or not but I was told the - worked better for older burners(10+years) and the + was for newer ones.

18. wtfroms

wtfroms Member

Verbatim's from Taiwan.

19. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

"+" & "-" are DVD-R writing formats, most current Burners/DVD ROM readers can distinguish between both.

20. 1prinnydood

1prinnydood Guest

They are part of the Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation a Japanese company.