1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Suggestions about Post Graduate Course & Field of Work

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dark Infernape, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Dark Infernape

Dark Infernape Raiden 雷電

Hi guys,
    My semester exams are coming (Its starts on monday btw! :p )
    and im gonna start my 2nd year in college in a few months... Im studying programming and networking mainly...

These are the Programming Lauguages or Couses taught at college for the 1st 2nd and 3rd years respectively

1st Year:
    [​IMG]
    2nd Year:
    [​IMG]
    3rd Year:
    [​IMG]

Now what all job oportunities would i have a shot at in future? Which field would i be good at given all the things im learning now?
    If there are elderly and educated people out there, kindly offer me your guidance, pass on to me your knowledge :p :D
    No im serious, what are my options for the future? What should i take up and study for my Post Graduate course?
    Kindly enlighten me!

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

installing and configuring windows 2000 won't get you very far given that it was retired years ago. Visual basic also isn't very useful, and oracle is useless unless you want to be an oracle DBA.

C is a good start, although its mostly been replaced by C++ now.

I'm a qualified network engineer and have yet to get a job.

3. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Have you looked yet?

4. Loonylion

ive been looking for 4 years.

5. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Oh.
    Come to Australia.

http://www.seek.com.au/information-communication-technology-jobs/engineering-network/

6. Hypr

Hypr Well-Known Member

Drop Internet and Multimedia, as well as Installing and Configuring Windows 2000 classes from your schedule. Those classes are fucking useless.

You need to replace them with Computer Science III, as you will need 1337 h4x0r skills which will help you later in life. Trust me on this. I took Computer Science III. I know what I'm talking about!

7. Loonylion

he may not have a choice. I only had a choice about one module, and it was either C++ programming or computer law. you had to do one of those two and every other module was compulsory, even the useless ones (HCI anyone? multimedia was also fairly useless to people on my course) I chose to do computer law, but with hindsight maybe I should have gone for C++ programming even though I would have hated it. It wasn't until near the end of my course that I found out that no-one on the network engineering course had ever passed the C++ programming module, and I know I could have.

Network engineering was one of, if not the, most popular courses in my department, purely because it was the only course that didn't have programming as a compulsory module
    (it did, it was just titled 'advanced network routing' and no-one realised that until too late)

8. Void

Void Well-Known Member

Unless you land something specific or something very general, programming and networking don't usually go hand in hand when it comes to jobs. I would gravitate towards something more specialized, like software engineering or networking/netsec in the next few years but frankly you should do whatever you want to do and fuck the opinions of employers.