1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Stupid question, maybe..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sae0vii, Nov 20, 2012.

1. sae0vii

sae0vii New Member

I downloaded a couple of roms and when I extracted them they're all the same file size. Why is that? ???

2. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

It's not only a very stupid question, but it's very much lacking in information.
    You could at least do better to make this stupid question more meaningful by naming what games you
    downloaded. Of cause if you downloaded games marked as let's say '32MB', then obviously all those downloaded would
    be of uniform size, don't you think? What? Do you expect if all was downloaded as '32MB' then when extracted becomes
    varying in sizes? Equal size file when compressed will result to equal size package as well, it's truely logical, right?

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Incorrect. It depends on what the file contains, if I had a 6GB video file and a 6GB text file, the video file wouldn't compress much at all but the text file would compress massively. Some roms compress more than others.

To answer the original question, the cartridges come in fixed capacities, and must be completely filled, so roms are padded with dummy data to match the fixed size of the cartridge used.

4. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

But when extracted they returned to their original size, which so happen in his case, all the files he had extracted resulted to save size because what he downloaded are files that are originally of that similar size. Coincidence maybe, maybe not since what files he downloaded was based on his preference selection.

5. sae0vii

sae0vii New Member

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks. ;D

:'( Sorry for the inconvenience..

6. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Don't worry about it, prectorian was just being a huge dick, the lack of social abilities comes from being a basement dweller for too long.