1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Street foods

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Cahos Rahne Veloza, May 23, 2008.

1. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

I don't know if you also call them as "street foods", but I'm referring to foods (mostly junk food, but who cares if they are), that you can buy & are sold by vendors outdoors (usually at roadsides or are carried along by the vendors).

Now I know there are a lot of health conscious people here, but for those of you who enjoy eating these kinds of food, what ls/are your favorites?

For me, it's this street food made up of a hard-boiled egg (of a chicken or Quail) that is wrapped in a batter mixture & deep fat fried, we call these "tukneneng" (pronounced took - ne - neng) if their chicken eggs or "kwek - kwek" if Quail eggs. They're eaten by dipping them in vinegar with chili peppers & they're heavenly.

Another one of my favorites is the dreaded Balut, no need for an explaination what they are though ;D

And there're fish & squid balls. They're made off fish or squid bits that have been pulverized & are mixed with a flour mixture making them look like little balls of dough, they are fried & eaten with three types of dips, a sweet & spicy dip, a sour vinegar dip & there's my personal favorite, the spicy dip.

For those with a sweet tooth, there's ice cream, made with Cassava flour, and "taho" (Tah - hoh), a sort of hot drink made of Soya beans & mixed with Caramelised sugar, it tastes really good, especially on cold rainy days :)

But my favorite sweet street food is "Turon" (two - ron), a Banana spring roll, sometimes also having a piece of jackfruit inside, which could burn the inside of your mouth & singe your tongue, if it was freshly taken out of the deep fryer & you inadvertantly bit it ;D

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

there are very strict regulations on selling food in this country, and for most part street vendors are not allowed to sell food. however, you often find burger/hot dog kiosks in town centers, and in Preston we have a little stand selling jacket potatoes and boiled peas.

3. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Oh yeah about regulations...

Because of some of the elitists in this country (people living above the upper middle class range) labeling foods sold by these vendors as "dirty" or poorly monitored, street foods have also been labeled as dirty foods or the pauper's feast, which is totally unjust, but yes, there are some vendors who don't do things accordingly, but only a few. Who would want to start a business only to go under by your own blundering & mistakes, right?

4. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

Turkish Kebabs FTW! :p I love them, have them whenever I hit town, Great because they so huge and seem to cure the morning hangovers.

5. sla03rs

sla03rs Well-Known Member

Kikiam even though its "chinese" in nature its part of Filipino street foods XD

Mango Turon is also heavenly :D Turon is a spring roll that's fried and coated with caramel sugar

Taho also has sago :D

There's also chicharon and kropeck that's sold by the balut vendors as well

6. clyffe28

clyffe28 Well-Known Member

vegetable turon, was that originated in here? anyway is one of my favorites including barbeques and nuggets

7. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Vegetable turon!?

Don't you mean Lumpia or in English, Spring Roll

8. clyffe28

Doesn't matter whatyou call it, just vegies wraped in lumpia wrapper then fried

9. its called a hot dog

10. Cahos Rahne Veloza

ROFL,

Dude a hotdog is the red sausage like food you eat on a hotdog bun & smothered with either mustard or chili, darn now I'm hungry ;D

11. ketchup works too :D

12. clyffe28

cassava cakes are good too but some say they could be poisonous if not planted correctly

13. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

hotdog is a sausage in a bun that may have a sauce and/or onions with it.

14. sla03rs

sla03rs Well-Known Member

kuchinta and puto XD now that's win

15. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

In the market here in town, this little indian food vendor makes the best Butter chicken, so delicious.

16. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

lol thats an American Hotdog, over here in NZ a hotdog is a battered sausage on a stich with sauce.

17. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

Quit it, your nmaking me hungry...

Taho doesn't really taste that good in my part... the whitestuff is tasteless :S

but Fishbowl, and Balut.. I wish I could eat that once in a while, but the guy only passes our street in the subd, once a month, and I never buy t anyways.... I'm too lazy to chase him down haha!

18. I eat canadian hot dogs, but I only like ketchup on mine, mustard is ok too

19. multy

multy Member

Yahoo! I love them!

I don't junk out without regards of my health though...

I am being careful especially with the oil those vendors used... if I taste anything foul (foul oil... yuck!)... that means the vendor is marked as One Time Only (O.T.O).

Anyway... I eat almost anything... "splat tofu" (tofu mixed with onions, spices, sugar water... can literally "splat" your tongue), Chinese meat bun, Japanese ramen (extra fat sauce), etc. Named other things I should try... except for American food... they're not unusual anymore...

Get me anything edible... and let me at 'em. I still do have my own preferences though... I just like to taste things...

20. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

I can tell this is a heavily European-based server just by looking at the foods.

Don't know that one.... not that one....or that one... not that one..... HOT DOG!

How is a hot dog a "street food?"