1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Starting a business

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tyson_rss, Dec 1, 2010.

1. tyson_rss

tyson_rss Guest

Hey everyone. I'd like some advice or tips on how to get it started. I plan to run a business dealing with choppers. I came up with the idea from watching American Chopper and thought it'd be cool to run such a business. I have the name ready, but I havent worked on any designs. For now Im just wandering how I can copyright my name, and make shirts, hats and other appearals. So does anyone have the knowlegde of this stuf?

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

People generally don't start a business until they have a steady job and a reliable income, then they start the business as a side project. If it takes off and turns a profit, then the person can consider leaving their 'day job' and becoming self employed full time. Bear in mind that self employment brings complications when it comes to things like taxes.

Copyright is automatic on creation, I think you may actually mean trademarking, which depends on what country you live in, but generally involves filling in forms and the payment of a fee to whatever organisation is responsible for registering trademarks. You will also need to register your company with the organisation responsible for registering companies in your country (In the UK this is Companies House).

3. tyson_rss

tyson_rss Guest

I was joining the military than after going to start it. I should have plenty of money to start something simple by than before making it into something huge.

But thanks for the reply. Any ideas about the shirts or software to use for a logo?

4. awesomebros

awesomebros Well-Known Member

I believe you can pay people to make you cheap and professional logos for a cheap price.

But if you want to make one by yourself, you could use either Adobe Photoshop or Adobe Illustrator depending on the type of logo you're trying to create.

5. tyson_rss

tyson_rss Guest

I have photoshop CS3. But i hardly ever use it, nor am I good at it lol. I only used it for editing sprites and that kind of stuff.

6. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

For a logo you should use a vector illustration package such as adobe illustrator rather than a bitmap package such as paint/photoshop. The reason for that is because vector images can be resized without losing quality whereas bitmap images lose quality. Additionally, professional printing companies generally expect images to be in vector format. You will also want to use the CYMK colour space rather than RGB if you intend it to be printed, as this is what professional printing houses use. Keep the number of colours used to a minimum, as profesisonal printing houses generally base their charges on the number of colours used, among other criteria.

7. tyson_rss

tyson_rss Guest

I'll look into that. Thanks.