1. This forum is in read-only mode.

((SPOILER WARNING)) Professor Layton 1 stopped working... please help me fix it.

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Moth, Dec 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moth

Moth New Member

I'm running the Professor Layton and the Curious Village Rom by micronauts (US version) on an R4 that has not been modded or patched, just the full 1.18 version.

The game was working fine, I have over eight hours of gameplay and it saves fine and all thats dandy but now the game is messing up.

Specifically, I'm walking down the Tower Road and I hit a dead end, Layton tells Luke to look at the wall to see if there's anything special about it. The screen goes dark as it does when it transitions to/from a talking scene to/from the free-roaming gameplay, but the screen stays black, then an extremely loud scratchy noise starts up. Pressing buttons does nothing. touching the touch screen does nothing, even if I close the ds lid the noise continues. So anyone think they can help me? :/ Volume control can be used still.

2. Jhon 591

Jhon 591 Well-Known Member

Its possable it could be a AP check in the game

Backup your .sav file and game, Try this firmware on a spare 2gb microsd card, work for original R4 card

DSTT v1.17a12 For R4 Original Users

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?mxtlngy5jyr

changeloag.txt has a list of games that work

Post Merge: [time]1261690663[/time]
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?s=e8c66816e86bbadd2b64f051597085c2&showtopic=195808&st=0&start=0

3. Moth

Moth New Member

Because I don't have a spare micro sd card I need to know why I need the spare. If I can get around needing the spare I can try that. I already have all the data backed up on my laptop, if my data corrupts or anything I can retrieve the data from my backup.

4. Jhon 591

You don't have to have a spare, Just saves you from deleting all files, are formatting your card and starting again

But its upto you if you wish to use your microsd card

I have no problems with my R4 revolution for DS (NDSL/NDS), with this new frimware and will play alot more newer games unpatched!

This one

[​IMG]

5. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

I don't think that the first Layton game had any Anti-Piracy in it.

Freezes like the one you are having can be caused by a slow MicroSD.
    You should backup you files (Games, Saves, Music, etc).
    Format your MicroSD.
    Install the Ysmenu firmware Jhon suggests because it's more compatible with the newer games than the R4 1.18 is.

6. Jhon 591

I don't see this game on the list but it may still work

As 4559 - A Christmas Carol (U) was also not on the list but it did work!
    Post Merge: [time]1261692088[/time]
    Well of for to night, Have a good chrismass to all!

7. Kiekoes

Kiekoes Guest

Well that's odd, my Grandma is using an R4 with 1.18 and she completed the game without any problems. Weird...

8. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

By list are you refering to the Anti-Piracy sticky? It's not an official list by any means, but more of a record of the threads about fixes for games.
    And I'm 90% sure that Layton 1 didn't have any Anti-Piracy. Not all issues with compatibility are due to Anti-Piracy. This game had a lot of issues with some older flashcarts, but the fix was the old save file fix of patching the Arm7 file from a game that worked.

Using the modified DSTT firmware for the R4 rather than the original R4 firmware increases compatibility and makes a lot of games that didn't work before (even due to reasons other than Anti-Piracy) work.

9. layton16

layton16 Well-Known Member

i am sure there in no anti piracy in this game at all i have the r4 v1.18 and had no problems when i was playing it just try doing what the others suggested by either formating your memory card of swithch the firmwire to the dstt one

10. funguy

funguy Well-Known Member

you can change that 90% to 100% Tirith, as that game had no AP,

i also completed the game on an R4 v1.18

11. Moth

Moth New Member

Maybe something went wrong with the download? And I never expected anti-piracy, games with anti piracy behave differently from my point of view. In any case, I'll try the suggestion that was first suggested. Thanks for all your help everyone.
    Post Merge: [time]1261695651[/time]
    okay, I found out what was wrong and I feel really very silly. When I went to format the card to install the Ysmenu, I found out the I had the wrong format on the card, I had it on FAT32 instead of standard FAT. A reformat worked and now the game has progressed. I will however still try out the Ysmenu since you all say it's better than the R4 firmware... and all know much more than I do about this stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.