1. This forum is in read-only mode.

SPOILER ALERT: Confusion About the Premise of Portal 2

Discussion in 'PC' started by Lephantome92, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Lephantome92

Lephantome92 Well-Known Member

For those of you who didn't fully read the title-this has spoilers for BOTH Portal games.

OK, so I finished Portal 1, and really liked it. I played Portal 2, also loved it. Now, if in the credits song of Portal, GLaDOS is in fact GLaD (couldn't resist) to be killed, and really emphasizes it. Yet in Portal 2, she returns with an incredible grudge against poor Chell. Then, when Wheatley takes over, potato GLaDOS is nice to Chell, even defending her at times (such as when Wheatley makes a crack about adoption). Then at the end of the whole game, GLaDOS is angry at Chell again, even wanting her to just leave, as made clear in the end credits. Now why would all that happen? As I said in the title, I'm kinda confused.

2. darkrequiem

darkrequiem Well-Known Member

No, while she was 'killed' she was also still alive and not fully destroyed, which the song really hammers in (it's even the title). "And believe me I am still alive."
    And she was not happy about being nearly destroyed. I dunno what gave you that impression.
    This is important because this is where most of your confusion comes from.
    GLaDOS hated Chell when she returned because she had to relive the two minutes before her 'death'. She only helped Chell at first out of mutual hatred for Wheatley.
    But then she regains some of Caroline's memories and becomes more like Caroline (who isn't a sadistic AI!)
    At the end, she claims to want Chell gone, and claims to have deleted Caroline's memories, but it's kinda ambiguous.
    She may or may not really hate Chell, and Caroline may still be in her.

Also, <3 GLaDOS

3. Lephantome92

What gave the impression about her being happy about being dead even though she was happy for Chell.

And about possibly deleting Caroline-I've heard countless times about how, even though on a computer it may say something was deleted, there still is a mark made somewhere about what was "deleted".

4. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

You might be thinking about this a bit too hard.

5. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

while technically you are nearly right (the file isnt actually deleted until it gets overwritten with something else), I believe natewlie's comment applies here:

6. Inunah

Inunah Well-Known Member

So I'm GLaD I got burned
    Think of all the things we learned
    For the people who are still alive

>So I'm GLaD I got burned

It's in the lyrics stating she was okay with Chell killing her.

Also, lol semi-necropost.

7. darkrequiem

She was passive aggressively lying.
    She's like that a lot in the games.

8. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Sarcasm is the word of the day.

9. darkrequiem

I didn't want to use such an advanced word like that. It scares me.

10. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Stop being lethargic.

11. Lephantome92

Now, now, children, were getting a little off topic...

12. darkrequiem

But being lethargic and off topic is perfect for me!

13. Lephantome92

lol at least here, lethargic is welcome!!
    also, the only line in Still Alive that seemed to have any sort of a joke was >Maybe Black Mesa?. The rest seemed genuinely sincere.

14. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

No.

I'm not even angry.
    I'm being so sincere right now.
    Even though you broke my heart.
    And killed me.
    And tore me to pieces.
    And threw every piece into a fire.
    As they burned it hurt because I was so happy for you!

Relates exactly to I'm so GlaD I got burned.

At no point in the game GlaDoS expresses no happiness about getting destroyed, and in Portal 2 she was angry that Chell tore her to pieces. And add to that, she's incredibly sarcastic, I'm surprised you two are even considering that she's being sincere about something like that, where it's obviously sarcasm.

15. Lephantome92

Consider pre-potato GLaDOS vs end song GLaDOS: pp-has the goal of science in mind, wants Chell. es-has the goal of science in mind, yet does not want Chell. Now, in portal, she wants to test and test and test to get results, yes? and she also says that she needs to test, yes? well, in Still Alive, she is saying that she's happy that she learned something because of the fact that she was torn apart and burned

16. darkrequiem

"PP" GlaDos wanted Chell dead.
    "ES" GlaDos wants Chell gone either because she realized how difficult it is to try to kill Chell or because Caroline has affected her and she has mercy.
    She still didn't like being torn apart and burned. Even her voice in Still Alive sounds passiv--sarcastic.

17. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Wow, it's like you missed all the character development in Portal 1 and 2.

There's nothing to suggest that GLaDoS wanted to die, literally nothing, if you payed attention and notice sarcasm then you would know that GLaDoS only wanted to test in Portal 1. Even if it comes down to killing people. So think about it, wouldn't tearing GLaDoS apart end be unproductive when talking about her goal? YES BECAUSE SHE CAN'T TEST IF SHE'S DEAD. She was not intended to be brought back to life in Portal 2, it happened on accident, and Wheatly only wanted to help you get out of the place.

If you remember anything from the final fight in Portal 1 you'll remember that GLaDoS meantions that she doesn't know what the cores are (which is sarcasm) and that she doesn't need them, to which, yes, she does need them.

Parasol has actually got it, GLaDoS' literal explanation as to why she's letting Chell go is because it's impossible to kill Chell andthat she has two new robots to test instead of her; or because Caroline's memories effected her decision to let her go. Which judging how sarcastic GLaDoS is, and as far as character development goes, it points to the more likely scenario that Caroline effect her.

18. megashell

megashell Well-Known Member

1st off (without reading other posts)

the 1at game was Chell, the second game was someone Completely different, you didn't hear all the remarks Glados said that "you remind me of HER".

The 1st game at the end character 1 is outside- no need to return, and beginning of 2nd game your in some sort of cubical, with TONZ of cubical, in other words they are all clones, the 1st one was a clone the 2nd one is a clone you just derailed 900 other clones in there own cubical at the start of the game.

So, not the same person.
    Post Merge: [time]1328885902[/time]
    Aaah just thought of something the words

So I'm GLaD I got burned

put it in this order,

So I'm GLaD.

I got burned

Saying she was GLaD as in Glados and she got burned! LOL portal 2 >:D

19. darkrequiem

*Sigh*
    No. After destroying GLaDOS, they were both sucked out of the room and landed outside Aperture Science, but Chell was dragged back inside Aperture Science by a robot.
    iirc, this was retconned/made clearer after the original release so that the sequel with Chell would make more sense.
    It is the same Chell.

This thread is a zombie.

20. bayan

bayan New Member

this is nice game