1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Speed class

Discussion in 'Flashcart Help' started by archlvt, Oct 21, 2010.

1. archlvt

archlvt Well-Known Member

Is speed class important for sd cards or not? I always hear conflicting stories. This is what I'm looking at:

http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_sku.asp?CatIds=&webid=831911&affixedcode=WW

It's expensive and yet it seems to be a class 2? I don't get it, I got a 4gb class 4 from shoptemp with my acekard for like $11 or something I thought. So why is it so hard to find one at a good price in stores?

2. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

That's why you buy them online. Way cheaper than in stores. They tend to overprice them because they can.

Class does matter, but I have never had a problem with my Class 2 cards.

3. nemesis11

nemesis11 Well-Known Member

the speed class is only important if you want a game to load fast on your flashcard,a good example is my 4 gb class 2 microsd is much slower saving than my kingston 4gb class 4

4. archlvt

Great. My Supercard will arrive any day now, and won't be able to play it or any other card because I need to wait another few weeks for an sd online.

5. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

You only have one micro sd card? The broken one?

6. archlvt

Correct. And thus, no way to currently play my non-retail DS games :p

What's up with the microsds on shoptemp? It says class 2/4. Well, which is it? 2 or 4? Randomly picked? The kingston I got there originally says 2/4 too and I received a 4, so I guess there's not much to worry about :S Still, how annoying.

7. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Ah! That totally sucks. I have like...10 or so? >.>

Not sure about the ShopTemp thing though. Maybe you can specify in the shipment details.

8. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

If you're gonna be using it with an SCDS2, speed class is pretty unimportant! :p
    After you click on the games section for it to load them up, that's where the time kicks in, i did it with C2 2GB, 8GB, and 32GB cards.
    the 2GB was instant, the 8GB took 3 sec, the 32GB took about 10 sec, loading and saving is all the same speed with it =D

9. archlvt

Oh. Saving was my biggest concern. Pokemon saving is ridiculously long on a retail cart and I was lucky enough to have a c4 with my ak2i so it was quicker. I don't care about the initial load.

10. personuser

personuser Well-Known Member

Hmm, do they SELL kingstons alone anymore there? I couldn't add one to the DSTWO bundle so I bought a 16GB Sandisk MicroSD instead.

SanDisk also says 2/4, BTW.

If they pick it randomly, well, here's hopin mine comes in 4! If not...life goes on.

You have NO idea what a long load is, man :p. My M3 perfect can load GBA roms up to 32mb. It takes it TWO MINUTES to load a 32mib GBA game.

...still worth keeping for 100% GBA compat tho.

11. manaseater

manaseater Well-Known Member

Speed class?

So basically speed class is NOT responsible for mid game slowdowns?

And the m3 has slot 1 gba loading?

12. personuser

personuser Well-Known Member

M3 Perfect is a SLOT2 card. They're one of the first DS flashcarts and sell today for their original premiere retail price (over $90!)

I got mine when I bought my DS on ebay during xmas '07 with 17 first-party games for $200. I learned that I could add more to it about five months ago.

...come to think of it, that was good deal for me :D

It looks like this [​IMG]

13. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

retail stores have much higher overheads than online stores. Those have to be paid for somehow.