1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Sound always skipping?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by game_keen, Apr 3, 2010.

1. game_keen

game_keen Member

Hey guys, I'm new here. :D

I downloaded a program called WineHelper to help me play DS games on Mac, using an emulator called NO$GBA C.

It all seems to work good, except for the sound. When I get a game working (I just tried Zelda), the sound skips around and it's painful to listen to. How can I fix this?

P.S. How can I tell what game language I am downloading? English would be nice. :-\

Thanks all. :)

2. meganova

meganova Well-Known Member

If you are trying to play GBA games, I suggest use VBA instead.

Game with (U) tag, is a English version, and the (E) is for Europe, while (J) is for Japan.

3. game_keen

game_keen Member

Thanks meganova. Why do you suggest VBA, and are you sure it's compatible with WineHelper? By the way I got NO$GBA for DS games.

Also I did download the (U) Zelda (Phantom Hourglass), but guess what it's not in english. :/

Does "fixme:commdlg:GetFileName95 Flags 0x00800000 not yet implemented" in the log have anything to do with it?

Sorry I'm a newbie at this stage. But if I can get things working, that's all that really matters. :D

4. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

I don't know if VBA is more compatible with WineHelper, but it is considered a better Gameboy Advanced emulator.

Take a look here for some setup info about VBA with some problematic games.
    http://forum.romulation.net/index.php?topic=6326.0

5. game_keen

game_keen Member

Thanks, but like I said I'm trying to run a DS game. NO$GBA is supposedly better than the other DS emulators.

6. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Make up your mind. DS or GBA. :)

VBA for GBA games, like you said you were having trouble with in the first post.

No$GBA2.6a with No$Zoomer for the DS games.
    http://forum.romulation.net/index.php?topic=1462.0

7. game_keen

game_keen Member

Thanks I'll try that, yes Nintendo DS games. Sorry 'bout the typo! Ok I'll see if this fixes anything.

Edit:

Ok I fixed the language bug, but so far nothing improves the sound.

No$Zoomer doesn't function properly: I locate the No$GBA.exe file but the Winehelper log just displays errors.

8. meganova

Can you run both no$gba and no$zoomer?
    If nothing is working,
    Try using DeSmuMe then.
    http://desmume.org/

9. game_keen

game_keen Member

I can't get No$Zoomer to work. Where should the folder be saved to? I have the No$Zoomer folder insider the No$Gba folder, and you're supposed to open the exe through Zoomer.

No$Gba was working fine but it had crackling sound. Apparently it's a buffer problem, which No$Zoomer is supposed to fix (Noise Suppression).

I think I tried Desmume but it had slow processing. Graphics and sound were unstable, so I didn't bother much longer with it.

10. meganova

Put all the files of no$zoomer(the folder contents) into the no$gba folder.
    If you put it separately, no$zoomer may ask you to locate the no$gba first before continuing,
    but not, when all in one folder.

11. game_keen

game_keen Member

Hmm, it must have something to do with Winehelper, because that doesn't work either. This time it doesn't ask for the exe, but I get a larger error log. :( I guess I should just play it mute lol. I'm guessing that's not an uncommon solution.