1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Sony finally comes clean on why PSN is down

Discussion in 'General News' started by Reider, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Reider

Reider Modereider

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/04/sony-admits-utter-psn-failure-your-personal-data-has-been-stolen.ars

Just a warning to all of you guys with PS3s, but if you put any credit card info or anything of that nature on it, you should probably consider it compromised and fix it.

2. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

I can't remember if I registered my credit card with the PSN. Probably not since it's flashed, but I'll soon find out.

Also, major fail on Sony's part. I can't believe this happened. Secure my ass!

3. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

I find it absolutely retarded that it took Sony THIS long for them to release almost any information about this. Jesus.

4. Stanley Richards

Stanley Richards Well-Known Member

When did it first start happening? I remember a recent failure in the EA servers. You couldn't login and access your DLCs in many games using the EA servers, and it took them about 3 days to respond.

5. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Sometime last week I believe. No information has been given about it until yesterday night or so.

6. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

I had my debit card saved on there. I'm in the process of getting a new one now.

I would have liked to have this information LAST WEEK Sony, thanks.

7. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

PSN is down, i'm glad i'm not able to access my PS3 right now....

8. calvin_0

Sony just emailed me the reason for PSN being shutdown. apparently PSN have been hacked and several customer data have been taken.

they shut down PSN to prevent anymore information to be taken and have hire some security firm to investigate this issue and perform an security upgrade to prevent this from happening again.

old info.... >.> i wonder why asian PSN is so slow in this matter....

9. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Probably because many of their servers are down.

10. 10tarik10

10tarik10 Well-Known Member

Yeah secure... right -__-

11. Reider

Reider Modereider

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/04/30/playstation-network-to-resume-this-week-sony-introduce-welcome-back-program/

Looks like it'll be fixed fairly soon at least.

12. xicyacex

xicyacex Well-Known Member

I'm not here to flame anybody or anything like that but...
    I just find it hilarious that Playstation fanboys are always like...
    " PSN IZ FREEEE "
    That's what you get for your free service.

13. sylar1000

sylar1000 Well-Known Member

PSN is free. It's a fine service that i;m able to use easily. One fuck up hardly constitutes anything for me.

14. calvin_0

come back when this is a common problem.

also PSN IS FREE, and they only have one problem ever since its lunch.. and yes ITS FREE.

15. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

It could equally easily have happened to xbox live. If someone is determined enough to break into a network then there is no security that will stop them. Network and computer security is all about making it so difficult that people give up or don't bother, if they are determined enough they will break through anything the sysadmin does to stop them. Security is a journey, not a destination.

16. lewis9191

lewis9191 Well-Known Member

But it wouldn't be equally as easy due to xbox having better security

17. Loonylion

You don't know that they have.

18. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Is there any way of knowing what they have?
    And could have Sony's security have been better or something along those lines?

19. Loonylion

No there is no way of knowing what either has, but we can assume the minimum they have because there is legislation requiring them to have a certain minimum level of security.

20. msg2009

msg2009 Romulations sexiest member

I hear its been hacked again