1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Somethings wrong with my R4...

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by barblade2, Nov 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barblade2

barblade2 New Member

welll I got my R4 about a week ago and its been working fine for awhile... I got my first couple of roms from *censored*
    and uh they worked fine and saved fine... then I got some kirby games from this site..... yea they worked good

but then troubles started appearing when I got Castlevania-portriat of ruin (great game i'd definitly recommend it)

everyonce and awhile when I used the menu I would get this random freeze... i didn't really think much of it.... I just saved alot more and didn't use the menu much :d but then all my games start randomly freezing D:

heres the list of ones that freeze

Kirby squeak squad (wtf memory corrupted? :(
    Kirby - super star ultra (randomly freezes everytime i beat a stage)
    Castlevania - Portriat of ruin (grrr...)

i've got an assload of games on my R4 but those are the ones with the problems so far

also I don't know if this is useful but uhh i also have alot of Youtube videos on it

*Edit* i'm not pointing any blame i'm just wondering what do i do?...

2. sexywogboy

sexywogboy Well-Known Member

I've had this problem before. It's your Micro SD card. Buy a new Micro SD card and put all the content from your current Micro SD card to your new Micro SD card.

Trust me, all your problems will be fixed. :)

3. Quake90

Quake90 Well-Known Member

that's not THE solution at all....
    the kirby games probably have anti piracy
    and as far as i know about Castlevania... my BF also has a R4 and it turned out that the game is pretty slow and sometimes even freeze!!
    i don't know if there's any fix for that.. but my experience is that the R4 doesn't play Castlevania games very well...
    i've got a M3 Real and it works perfect with those games...

4. sexywogboy

I've had no problems with Kirby games on my R4. I know all he needs is a new Micro SD card. He's probably worn the card out (It does happen, even if it does look good).

5. Fredbox

Fredbox Well-Known Member

Getting a new one probably won't work. The issue is that MicroSD cards are slightly slower to read than real DS games. PoR tries to read the game card faster than the SD can deliver. The most you can do is backup the contents of your card, format it and put everything back (should slightly speed it up). Unless maybe if you have a cheap brand of MicroSD and you buy a good quality one. That might help.

6. paintape

paintape Well-Known Member

try and reformat it

7. Jhon 591

Jhon 591 Well-Known Member

A R4 can only handle a 2gb microsd card you may have trubble with it if you are using a bigger micro sd card then that of 2gb

8. Fredbox

It wouldn't work at all if it was SDHC. The problem is speed.

9. three_strangers

three_strangers Well-Known Member

I think the problem is that you have too much on your SD card. Maybe you should back up some of your games on the computer and leave the ones you want to play with on the card. Move them around when you want to play.
    That's how I do it.

10. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

This man made the most intelligent post in this thread. Ignore everyone else and listen to him.

11. sexywogboy

It may be the most intelligent post in this thread, but I can assure you all is needed is a brand spanking new Micro SD card to fix the problems.

12. Jhon 591

The best thing to do is a full format of your card, and start again

If you have a R4 original , mabe ysmenu would be better for your games

13. Fredbox

I disagree. That might be one solution, but it may not work. Another solution is backing up and formatting. That also may not work, but it's free and therefore should be tried first. And you may never be able to fix the problem, as even the most expensive MicroSDs are still not quite fast enough.

14. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

All of this sounds resonable...but that's because I dislike r4 cards in general.

If the card doesn't read then a new micro SD card is a great idea, if a pc can still read it-then it's fine.

Unlike one of my ds dump experiements...that did need a new micro sd...

Sounds too quick a fix.

And fredbox does have a point-cheap micro sd cards are not a good idea.

15. Jhon 591

I agree

And mabe ysmenu will work with certin games

https://www.romulation.org/forum/index.php?topic=27617.msg471959#msg471959

R4 Firmware v1.18 + YSMenu , updated 21/11/2009

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?mjutouennzg

R4 Firmware v1.18 + Moonshell 2.05 + YSMenu , updated 21/11/2009

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?dndotgzyjit

Ysmenu for R4 Revolution For DS, updated 21/11/2009

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?iunyyzklymz

16. Fredbox

I don't think this is because it's an R4. This is an issue with PoR on all cards.

17. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

If this were an acekard I'd would have an alternitive solution.

However because I don't use or like r4's-I'm letting you take over XD

I'm not blaming the r4 though, just the way they work, don't mind my opinion...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.