1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Some thoughts on Sands of Destruction (World Destruction) and RPGs as of late

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by Mcoupe69, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Mcoupe69

Mcoupe69 Guest

Well.. when I watched the trailer for sands of destruction a while back and to me it just looked like another random jrpg that i could take or leave. Man I was wrong though... I might get slammed for saying this but eh.. Personally when I first started playing I got that feeling of epicness that I got when I first played FFVII ( the first rpg I really sat down with and couldn't stop playing back like 6-7 years ago) Since then I have played a LOT of role playing games mainly for DS and Most of them I sherk to the side after getting 1/4- 1/2 of the way through because they just can't hold my interest. I love a good battle system .. don't get me wrong .. But what really keeps me going most of the time in games is a killer story and Sands of Destruction has it :) . I have heard a lot of good things about Glory of Heracles now too and I'm not sure if I will be able to switch between the two games very easily :/ .. Either way it seems like ds rpgs are finally starting to blossom again :)

DQIX on the way :) can't wait

2. Rysio

Rysio Well-Known Member

Oh yes, Sands of Destruction is a great game indeed. It sucked me in just like Dragon Quest V, Endless Frontier and Disgaea (my fav Ds rpgs). Story is interesting, characters are nice and battle system is awesome. Only two things bother me- I don't think there will be anything left to do after you beat the story, and replayability seems to be rather low... I never heard about New Game+ or anything in this game :(

3. nintendo05

nintendo05 Member

Re: Some thoughts on Sands of Destruction (World Destruction) and RPGs as of lat

Sands of Destruction is an awesome game. It has awesome gameplay, an awesome story (with great voice acting) and awesome graphics.

Personally, (and I'm probably going to get killed for saying this) I don't really like Final Fantasy games. To me, they all seem the same: You run around on an overworld, random enemy encounters, go to a dungeon, MORE enemy encounters, try to keep all your party members healthy by using constant Potions, Elixirs, Spells, Phoenix Downs etc. and if you're still alive by then you meet a giant boss that destroys you, you need to go back and level-up 10 times, AND REPEAT EVERYTHING!!!!!! With the exception of the Crystal Chronicles series, I find this REALLY tedious.

Well it's good to see an RPG that's NOT like all of that. And if you like Sands of Destruction, then you should definitely try Suikoden Tierkreis for DS. ;D ;D ;D ;D

4. Mcoupe69

Mcoupe69 Guest

Haha I actually started playing suikoden tekries but I played it while I was rolling and the bad voice acting kinda freaked me out :U but I have been thinking of starting it back up again.. cuz the battles were pretty sick and even though I was too high to pay attention to the story.. I'm sure its epicish

and to nintendo, I respect your opinion and in a way you are pretty much dead on with Final Fantasy games gameplay wise.. with the exception of a few of the games that have entertaining side game shit.. But I am sure everyone agrees with me when I say that the true gold of Final Fantasy lies in Story..
    Post Merge: [time]1263853191[/time]
    and you guys are talking about the battle system and what not.. I do like it .. but at the same time.. I just figured out about chaining and shit.. and if you do it right like in the beginning of the game start by making your first ground flurry lvl 7 through accuracy points, then chaining it to the other two with all power.. that can be done for each character pretty early in the game and especially if you make use of the 2x Cp accessories.. but crap..
    Possible Spoiler l
    v

The battle system now seems too easy .. I am at the sky gaol after rescuing Agan and now going for the scepter.. but the first time i went through I didn't save it past the beginning of the area and i got to the rajiv battle with a buncha messed up combat skill setups barely did any damage to him and quickly got raped.. second round through i used some books of arms to reset all my chars skills and redo em like i talked about above.. got to rajiv.. Taupy killed him in his very first turn...

The chains make you do damage you think you should be doing at the end of the game xD

but yeah also for anyone who doesn't know yet, flurrys are the way to go :)

5. johnx

johnx Well-Known Member

The game is really fun and it hooked me in.
    I couldn't stop playing it.

6. Shiokazu

Shiokazu Well-Known Member

... how dare you compare sands of destruction with FF7? FF7 stinks like the plague.

Sands should be compared with Chrono Trigger or Cross.

7. Griffandir14

Griffandir14 Well-Known Member

stabs nintendo5 with a rusty shiv, you know I sort of agreed with this dead guy, but I am a fanboy and have a job to do. Sands is very interesting, but it made the same mistake Nostalgia did, no selectable difficulty level. The game is too easy for us old rpg dogs and some people have found it too hard. The story is excellent though and I like the voice acting too. Glory of Heracles will be the first Hercules no Eikou released in the US and I can't wait to play it, but I have already tried DQ IX in Japanese and did not like it. RPGs ROCK!

8. darky000

darky000 Well-Known Member

Thie game for me is boring. The story presented is pretty straightforward. The battle is tedious. Items are useless. Customization is dubious(only possible way to ease the game is using flurry atks w/ fortify ability). Blood Skills are better not made. Difficulty is random.

If I should compare this, it would be an MMO that directs you from point A to point B and move on to the next quest. There's not much player interaction to go by. Simply grind your way to the end. Yes, I have ended the game. Not satisfying at all.

Sorry, didn't loved it much as you people enjoyed it. I'd give it a 5/10.

9. Mcoupe69

Mcoupe69 Guest

I noticed like 50% of people like and 50% hate/dislike/meh this game

10. snebbers

snebbers Well-Known Member

Mmm I think it's a pretty good game :)
    The system it has for battles etc is quite interesting. :)
    And the story is pretty new and epic :)

11. blaza89

blaza89 Well-Known Member

i like the story but to me it seems to me boss cheats alot by attacking without stopping and they always skip there turn

12. snebbers

snebbers Well-Known Member

Mmm That's true... But it makes it more challenging :) and a little bit more fun. :)

13. MisterGuest

MisterGuest Guest

I didn't find the game to be that good. I really wish some people would stop spamming around that it is godlike..

14. sylar1000

sylar1000 Well-Known Member

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

15. meganova

meganova Well-Known Member

At least SoD anime has a nice storyline. ;D

oh well, the game are pretty average though.
    Has some pro and cons.

16. ybom

ybom Well-Known Member

17. t@n!

t@n! Well-Known Member

I think Sands of time is a good rpg but i also think FF7 was a great game and if compared FF7 would come on top in my list!!!!

18. naruto6768

naruto6768 Well-Known Member

umm i love it but IGN gave the game a 7 out of 10 i think an 8.5 is worth it